Surprise Valley, Ca.,

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

Surprise Valley, Ca.,

Postby Rand Olson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:45 am

I recently received a text message from long time RCB member, Jeff Chessher. He recently moved to Surprise Valley near the town of Eagleville, Ca. Jeff offered his place in Eagleville to us for a stop over camping spot sometime in late summer, perhaps September.
I used to own a ranch a few miles from Jeff's place so I know the area really well. If there is enough interest, I would lead a ride from here to there and back and would enjoy sharing the most beautiful place I've ever lived with my friends at RCB! We could leave on a Friday or Saturday and be in Eagleville in 5 1/2 hours. It's 300 miles approximately. For those that do not camp there is a motel in Cedarville about 12 miles north with restaurants and fuel.
Looking out from the front porch of Jeff's house you can look across the valley and gaze at the rolling Nevada Mountain and Hayes Peak. From the back porch you look up at the Warner Mts. to the west and marvel at their majestic ruggedness. I have a route in mind that takes us up through Susanville and then up through the Modoc National Forrest to Adin and then over to Alturas and up over Cedar Pass to Cedarville and Surprise Valley. It definitely is a surprise when you ride over the top of the Warners at 6500' and drop down into the green and luscious valley.
There are all kinds of places to go once we are there for those that are adventurous and want more time on the road or just chill out a Jeff's place and enjoy the scenery and prepare for the ride back.
Let me know if you are interested in visiting the most remote part of the state of California, the part that most people don't know about! Any questions you can e-mail me at jr@surewest.net.
Rand Olson
Rand Olson

Re: Surprise Valley, Ca.,

Postby Roseville Rick » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:35 am

I'm definitely interested Rand. Let me know when!
2009 BMW R1200GS
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
RCB Since 2011
IBA #50411
Roseville Rick

Postby Gordon Olson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:14 pm

I am sooooooo there!

RCBPREZ
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby Rand Olson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:35 pm

I think it will be fun to ride up to see Jeff and have a BBQ at his place and then ride a different route home the next day. Many people haven't been to the Surprise Valley because it's on on the way to anywhere. Some of us rode through there on the "Road to No Where" in 2008 when we had the contest. But other than that few people ever visit that part of the world. It's my favorite place in all the world and the prettiest place I've ever lived!
Rand
Rand Olson

Postby Hookalatch » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:10 pm

I am in Surprise Valley fairly often for work related reasons. If you have GS participants or anyone wishing to ride some easy dirt roads you can go up through Gerlach NV or go on the west side of Pyramid Lake and on to Smoke Creek and into Eagleville.

Chuck
Hookalatch

Postby Rand Olson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:28 pm

We could do that or separate into 2 groups. Some of the guys don't like dirt all that well. You could take the GS riders and I could lead the asphalt group. Either way it's a great ride. What do you do up there in terms of business? It's pretty remote!
Rand Olson

Postby Hookalatch » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:32 am

I won't be leading any groups, just throwing out a couple of alternatives for the dirt crowd. There is plenty of dirt/gravel roads to explore from Surprise Valley itself. Keep heading east through Cedarville, ride up into the Warners, or go north through the valley and take the Fandango Pass and loop back to Alturas and then Cedarville are a few examples.

Chuck
Hookalatch

Postby Rand Olson » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for the heads up. I've never been on the road on the west side of Pyramid but lived in Cedarville for a number of years and ran cattle all over on the east side toward the Sheldon Game Refuge and in Long Valley. Don't know the Warner's all that well but Jeff does. All suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Rand
Rand Olson

Postby GailMiller » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:08 pm

I am in. God willing and the creek don't rise.
Gail
GailMiller

Postby Rand Olson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 am

I talked to Jeff last night and we settled on a tentative date for the ride up to Eagleville as being the 27-29th of August. This doesn't seem to conflict with any other event or ride. If you would like more information or have decided to ride with us please let us know as food has to be purchased. As I mentioned previously Chessher's have a great place to camp but if camping is not your thing, there are 2 motel/hotels in Cedarville. You can access them on line and check them out. Cedarville is about 12 miles north of Eagleville and there are also stores and cafes there.
For those that will ride up with us disregard this next post....Friday the 27th is the start of "The Burning Man" which means that if you are going to ride up through Reno and Gerlach it's going to be pretty crowded on that road although the scenery maybe pretty interesting! For those that are going with me that will not be a problem as I'm going by a different route. Some of you may wish to ride down to Gerlack from Eagleville. It's not very far about an hour or so maybe a bit more. It will be chaos down there. But the people that are with our group will be unaffected by "The Burning Man".

For other activities there's a ride from Ft. Bidwell over to Mosquito (Nevada) and down through Long Valley that's graded gravel and certainly any one with a GS would have no problem with. There's another ride that takes you from Duck Lake (south of Eagleville) over to Ravendale on 395 that's also graded gravel and a good road. There's lots to do up there.
Rand Olson

Postby Gordon Olson » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:36 pm

.......the weekend is actually Friday, August 28 (vice 27), through Sunday, August 30. Burning Man starts on August 28 as well, but we will have much more fun!!!

RCBPREZ
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby jack » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Is that Labor Day weekend? If yes, conflict with Gypsy Tour.

You do not want to be anywhere close to Gerlach during Burning Man. Traffic can suck.

If not Labor Day weekend, I am interested.

Jack
jack

Postby JakeFingerson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:34 pm

Labor day is Monday, 7 September.

I'm in, provided I'm in town. Also, maybe a better half tag along as well.

Blue skies,
-young jake
JakeFingerson

Postby Shopdoc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:58 pm

Did someone say GS? I'm in.

Shopdoc
Shopdoc

Postby Al morrison » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Al's in
Al morrison

Postby Dead Eye Dan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:27 am

Dan is in.
Dead Eye Dan
Watch out for that bungee cord dumbsh*t.
Dead Eye Dan

Postby jbeaver » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:05 am

Sounds like a fun trip. I'm in. A good warmup for the Gypsy Tour the following weekend.
List started:
1. Rand Olsen
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gordy
4. Gail Miller
5. Jack Klauschie
6. Jake Fingerson
7. Bruce Hilger
8. Al Morrison
9. Dan Albertson
10. John Beaver
John Beaver
'09 F800GS
'99 R1100RT
"The older I get the faster I was."
jbeaver

Postby Just Bob » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 am

Sounds like a fun trip. I'm in.
List started:
1. Rand Olsen
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gordy
4. Gail Miller
5. Jack Klauschie
6. Jake Fingerson
7. Bruce Hilger
8. Al Morrison
9. Dan Albertson
10. John Beaver
11. Just Bob
Just Bob

Postby Shopdoc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:45 pm

Cancel Bruce Hilger
List started:
1. Rand Olsen
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gordy
4. Gail Miller
5. Jack Klauschie
6. Jake Fingerson
8. Al Morrison
9. Dan Albertson
10. John Beaver
11. Just Bob
Shopdoc

Postby Just Bob » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:55 am

List started:
1. Rand Olsen
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gordy
4. Gail Miller
5. Jack Klauschie
6. Jake Fingerson
7. Al Morrison
8. Dan Albertson
9. John Beaver
10. Just Bob
Just Bob

Postby JakeFingerson » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 am

Not gonna be able to make it, unfortunately.

List started:
1. Rand Olsen
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gordy
4. Gail Miller
5. Jack Klauschie
6. Al Morrison
7. Dan Albertson
8. John Beaver
9. Just Bob
JakeFingerson

Postby B.Parrish » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm in! Bruce Parrish
B.Parrish

Postby bajapilot » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:33 pm

This sounds like a good one. Count me in too.

Bill Lind
bajapilot

Postby Rand Olson » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:52 pm

8/17/15- I have been reminded by several of you that I have not been very diligent in communicating the details of the ride coming up on August 28th. The Surprise Valley Ride. We'll meet at Susie's and be on our way at 9AM. Riding up Hwy 65 to Marysville then up to Oroville via hwy. 70 through the Feather River Canyon on 89 then north on 89 through Greenville to Lake Almanor. Following 147 along the south edge of Lake Almanor we'll turn east on hwy 36 to Susanville and stop for lunch. A distance of about 182 miles. Then north on 139 through Modoc National Forest to Adin, Ca., from Adin we turn east on 299 and ride to Alturas. At Alturas we ride north to the Cedarville, Ca., turn off and head east up Cedar Pass down into Cedarville, Ca. Once in Cedarville we turn south on county road #1 (the only main road in the valley) ridding south towards Gerlach we reach the town of Eagleville and Jeff's place is south of Eagleville, just past the Eagleville Volunteer Fire Department BBQ grounds and on the right hand side of the road is Jeff's place. It's the greenest thing around and the address is: 12821County Rd. #1, Eagleville, Ca., 96110.
Jeff's phone is 530-279-0015 home, cell: 916-539-0112.

Friday night we'll be BBQ ing at Jeff's place and there will be adequate places to pitch your tents on really lush, green grass. Saturday morning we'll head to Cedarville about 8AM and have breakfast at the Country Hearth Cafe in Cedarville. We'll then head north on CR #1 to Ft. Bidwell. From Ft. Bidwell we ride east and go on a well maintained gravel 2 track road up through some of the most beautiful northern Nevada desert country you have ever seen. The ride is approximately 90 miles and about 85% is on good dirt roads. I wouldn't hesitate to take my LT on it and it will not beat up either you or your bike!!! We are going to stop about 1/2 way through on a high outlook that you can see at least 50 miles in any direction and Jeff's going a head of us with his Jeep and will have drinks, water and things at that stopping point.

We come off the hill and ride around Mosquito Lake and down long valley on the Barrel Springs Rd. to Vya. Then we'll take Rd. 8A back over 49 mountain to Cedarville to have another BBQ at Jeff's place. We ride home on Sunday. As I just mentioned I just rode the Susanville-Adin route and it's 337 miles. The Saturday route is about 90 and is optional for those that would like to ride it. Those that don't there is a paved route that we have laid out for you that's pretty scenic as well. There's plenty of gas at Cedarville, Alturas, Susanville, etc. so that's not a problem. Cedarville for those of you that have never been there is a quaint little cow town tucked away from just about everything. It's really not on the way to anywhere except the little town of Gerlach. By the way the "Burning Man" is going on that week and I would advise everyone not to go down that direction. The "Burning Man" will not affect us in the least!

I would like to comment on the Saturday's ride... the country is beautiful but very wild in the respect that I would encourage all of us to remember that we'll be a long way from town. We are going to be riding very carefully and pretty slowly. The scenery is really something else and very beautiful and changes all the time. Some of the time we'll be riding up along the rim rocks with "quakers" growing along the lee sides and then across some beautiful meadows and down in some neat valleys. There will be lots of antelope, deer and cows out there so we'll have to watch for them. Once we leave, Jeff and his Jeep, he will be behind us so if anyone has a mechanical problem Jeff and I can get you out and he'll have water and that sort of thing. I think that we are going to want to spread out and ride slowly to keep the dust down and allow everybody to see the remarkable views and I encourage everyone to keep watch and be responsible for the guy behind you. If you loose his lights slow down until you make contact with him again.

I think it will be a great experience for all attending and if there is enough interest Jeff said that he'd consider doing it again next year. There are enough routes up here to do a new one for about 10 years!! So for all GS riders this will be an excellent time to hone your skills. Jeff and I call this road an "easy GS ride". Any questions please give me a call and I'd be happy to answer any questions that come up. I'm at 916-599-0819.

Postby Just Bob » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:03 am
List started:
1. Rand Olsen
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gordy
4. Gail Miller
5. Jack Klauschie
6. Jake Fingerson
7. Bruce Hilger
8. Al Morrison
9. Dan Albertson
10. John Beaver
11. Just Bob
12. Mike Harvey

Just Bob

Rand Olson

Postby jgsulpizio » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Rand,

Sounds like a great ride and even greater company. Count me in.

Best, John
jgsulpizio

Postby jgsulpizio » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:04 am

Rand,

For a moment, my urge to ride got ahead of my fatherly commitment to a daughter on this same weekend. So, respectfully and with disappointment, I am going to have to remove my name from the list.

See you on the Mystery Tour.

John
jgsulpizio

Postby jbeaver » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:36 am

I live in Yuba City, so I will join the group when you pass through Marysville.
John Beaver
'09 F800GS
'99 R1100RT
jbeaver

Postby Rand Olson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:40 am

Good, John. We'll leave Roseville at 9 AM. See you then.
Rand Olson

Postby Dr. Alpine » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi, I was thinking of going on this Surprise Valley trip but there is no availability at the motel in Cederville. Also, I only have 262 miles on my new 2016 R1200 RS and don't have enough time to put the rest of the miles up to 600 for the first service. I would love to take this ride because I rode it in 1978 on my R100 (red with cafe fairing) and did the "not too bad gravel road NE into Nevada. In fact there was a guy who had a BMW museum in Fort Bidwell (really!). I bought a ride-off stand from him. We had dinner and he put me up for the night. I think this will be a great trip and I'm sure you will all have a good time.

Dr. Alpine (Jim Smith)
2016 R1200 RS
Dr. Alpine

Postby Rand Olson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Jim, if there is enough interest we'll do another one next year. I used to live up there and have other rides that are different for years to come.Keep us in mind for the coming year.
Rand Olson

Postby Dr. Alpine » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks Rand. I'll try to do it nest year. :D
Jim Smith
2016 R1200 RS
Dr. Alpine

Postby Greg Gibson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Rand,

I will be there this weekend. As of now, Tuesday, CJ Gilzean and I are planning to leave Fri morning. If work prevents CJ from going, I will leave Fri, and may try to meet you up around Greenville/Chester area.

Should be a great trip. See you Friday.

Greg Gibson
Greg Gibson

Postby Rand Olson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Look forward to seeing you Greg.
Rand Olson

Postby Rand Olson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:42 pm

I thought I would post the way points that I'm going to have on my GPS if any of you would like to have them entered before we leave.
Oroville
Greenville
Susanville
Adin
Eagleville

I thought a good lunch stop would be in Susanville at the little hamburger stand just as you leave town to go up the hill on 139. There's plenty of gas at Cedarville and it's a lot cheaper than Alturas. There's an indian gas station there called "Rabit Traxx" that we always use. Does anyone have any questions or is there anything that I've forgotten?
Rand
Rand Olson

Postby jbeaver » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Sadly, I won't be able to make it this weekend. I was really looking forward to it, too. <sigh>

Sounds like a fun trip.
List started:
1. Rand Olsen
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gordy
4. Gail Miller
5. Jack Klauschie
6. Jake Fingerson
7. Bruce Hilger
8. Al Morrison
9. Dan Albertson
10. Just Bob
11. Mike Harvey
12. Greg Gobson
John Beaver
'09 F800GS
'99 R1100RT
jbeaver

Postby Greg Gibson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:20 am

As of Wed, CJ is planning to be there. Anybody have any idea of how bad the traffic would be through Gerlach on Friday? He might tow his bike up on a trailer Friday afternoon.

1. Rand Olsen
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gordy
4. Gail Miller
5. Jack Klauschie
6. Jake Fingerson
7. Bruce Hilger
8. Al Morrison
9. Dan Albertson
10. Just Bob
11. Mike Harvey
12. Greg Gibson
13. CJ Gilzean
Greg Gibson

Postby Rand Olson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:03 pm

Remember if you're coming up from Reno through Gerlach, allow for a couple of hours additional time as the "Burning Man" is just getting started in Gerlach and there will be 76,000 people trying to get into Gerlach in the next several days. DO NOT GO THRU RENO TO SURPRISE VALLEY IF TIME IS A FACTOR!
Rand Olson

Postby Rand Olson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Here's the final count for Surprise Valley. See you all in the morning at Susie's and we'll leave at 9.

1. Rand Olson
2. Rick Kilton
3. Gail Miller
4. Jack Klauschie
5. Jake Fingerson
6. Bruce Hilger
7. Al Morrison
8. Dan Albertson
9. Just Bob
10. Mike Harvey
11. Greg Gibson
12. CJ Gilzean

Rand Olson

Postby Rand Olson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Greg, if CJ is coming up through Reno I'd suggest he come up 395 to Alturas and then over the hill to Cedarville and down to Eagleville.
Rand
Rand Olson

Postby woodp » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Greg Gibson wrote:Anybody have any idea of how bad the traffic would be through Gerlach on Friday?

NV 447 is already horrible. Up here in Reno, there's a caravan of RVs already blocking roads, and other trucks are delivering water, food, bikes and tents (and wood) to Gerlach to be sold. Charter pilots are seeing backups north of Nixon, and my golf cart lady tells me of an eight-hour round-trip yesterday (!) to deliver Golf Carts.

Walmarts and Costcos and such have huge pallets of water blocking parts of their parking lots. They're anticipating 80K+ people will need a lot of water.

Avoid NV 447 - It's a fair condition, 2 lane road, but with all the dips and turns, the "motorcycle passing lane" isn't readily available.

If your heart is set on Guru Lane, wait another 14 days or so.
Attachments
2015-04-18 11.44.47.jpg
Guru Lane, just north of Gerlach
2015-04-18 11.44.47.jpg (143.77 KiB) Viewed 11433 times
Phil Wood - RCB Member Emeritus
woodp@woodp.com - 916/673-3456
IBA #21233, RA #32719
woodp

Postby Rand Olson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Wise words, Phil! It's incredible that you didn't come up with the idea of the Burning Man. Googling it I found out that tickets are $390 each with additional monies required for parking and as you pointed out they're expecting north of 76000 people. Do the math!
Rand Olson

Postby Erivera » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi Rand,
If I do not get called in between now and tomorrow morning, I should be able to join. I will be at Susie's in time for departure, hopefully. Thanks for organizing.
Ernesto
Erivera

Postby RocklinMike » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:13 pm

Yep, wouldn't pay $390.00 per ticket to see the Beatles, (well maybe), but to go out in the desert with 76,000 to watch some bon fires? Obviously I'm getting old as I wouldn't go to this crap at gun point! Rode last weekend all over southern Oregon. Epic roads, little traffic, lots of smoke. 2 PEOPLE! No crowds. How we roll I guess. You folks have a great time this weekend and ride safe. Bring back some pics or it didn't happen.
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
2013 R1200GS (Stofer WTRBXR)
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby Erivera » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 pm

What a great event! Thanks to Jeff and Mo for hosting, Rand for organizing and the riders for a great time. The dirt ride was awesome. Now I know that tiny gravel is not the same as sand and Rand's idea of washboard is different than mine :). Had a blast. I had to leave Saturday -felt too guilty having too much of a great time. Passed by Gerlach on the way home - interesting crowd. Hope we have this event again next year!
Erivera

Postby Greg Gibson » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi Rand,

Thanks to you and Jeff Chesser for the great weekend. Let's do it again if Jeff is willing. Thanks for laying out the off-road tour, maybe next year we can do an advanced loop as well.

We went south and cruised through Gerlach. South of town, there was about 5 miles of stopped "traffic" going north, and then 80 miles of bumper-to-bumper heading up from Wadsworth. Amazing in so many ways.
Greg Gibson

Re:

Postby Dead Eye Dan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:02 am

Greg Gibson wrote:Hi Rand,

Thanks to you and Jeff Chesser for the great weekend. Let's do it again if Jeff is willing. Thanks for laying out the off-road tour, maybe next year we can do an advanced loop as well.

We went south and cruised through Gerlach. South of town, there was about 5 miles of stopped "traffic" going north, and then 80 miles of bumper-to-bumper heading up from Wadsworth. Amazing in so many ways.

Yes, thanks to Jeff and Mo for hosting us. Might have been the plushest grass I've ever set my tent on.

That was amazing, all the cars stopped trying to get to Burning Man. Some might still be on the road even now. :D
Dead Eye Dan
Watch out for that bungee cord dumbsh*t.
Dead Eye Dan

Postby GailMiller » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:47 pm

Great Event, Fantastic hosts, got to know a few of the RCB members a little better. I am in for next year. Thank you Rand, Jeff and Mo.
Gail
GailMiller

Postby Roseville Rick » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:16 pm

20150829_104806 (600x338).jpg
20150829_104806 (600x338).jpg (196.39 KiB) Viewed 10388 times
20150828_173855 (600x338).jpg
20150828_173855 (600x338).jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 10388 times
20150828_174017 (600x338).jpg
20150828_174017 (600x338).jpg (174.27 KiB) Viewed 10388 times
20150828_174142 (600x338).jpg
20150828_174142 (600x338).jpg (208.57 KiB) Viewed 10388 times
20150829_104639 (600x338).jpg
20150829_104639 (600x338).jpg (219.47 KiB) Viewed 10388 times
2009 BMW R1200GS
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
RCB Since 2011
IBA #50411
Roseville Rick

Postby Roseville Rick » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:18 pm

20150829_104703 (600x338).jpg
20150829_104703 (600x338).jpg (200.12 KiB) Viewed 10387 times
20150829_103913 (600x338).jpg
20150829_103913 (600x338).jpg (188.77 KiB) Viewed 10387 times
20150829_075256 (600x338).jpg
20150829_075256 (600x338).jpg (205.69 KiB) Viewed 10387 times
2009 BMW R1200GS
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
RCB Since 2011
IBA #50411
Roseville Rick

Postby RocklinMike » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:38 pm

Well, with all the pics here, it must of happened! Looks like you hooligans had a great weekend! Nice! Great looking country.
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
2013 R1200GS (Stofer WTRBXR)
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Return to Rides and Destinations