Charge log?

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

Charge log?

Postby SteveH » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:32 pm

I dropped off my 2013 RT at A&S today for a battery related issue. They asked me if I had a "charge log". I told them I never heard of it and they acted like I should have. Can anyone shed a light on this for me?

My bike has been in service 20 months and 14000 miles and is ridden frequently. Never has sat more that 3 or 4 days at a time so putting it on a charger would be a hassle. Suddenly the battery goes dead after sitting for 2 days.
SteveH

Re: Charge log?

Postby bajapilot » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Yeah, it's BMW's latest way of passing off battery issues to their customers. On my 2014 GS they actually have a signature required acknowledging that you have been informed of the requirement to keep a log showing that you have charged the battery at certain intervals. I don't recall the frequency since i threw mine away.

This came out of the snow states where people only ride part of the year and let the bikes sit through the winter. Some sit with discharged batteries for months and then try to make a warranty claim because they won't take a charge so now they want all of us to keep a log of our battery charges to make a warranty claim.

I, like you, ride frequently and if the bike won't keep the battery charged a charger's not going to help. Good luck.

Bill
bajapilot

Postby SteveH » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:32 pm

Thank you for that. It did seem like they were looking for a way to sidestep the issue. I'll give them a chance to do the right thing then post the results.
SteveH

Postby SteveH » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:22 pm

A&S did it right and replaced the battery. They sent me home with a "Battery Charge Log". I'm supposed to enter the date each time I hook it up to the Battery Tender.
SteveH

Return to Motorcycle Discussions