Ride Report to the Rally

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

Ride Report to the Rally

Postby everin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:14 pm

I arrived yesterday in Billings after completing 1,963 miles, some of it off road, from Lincoln. Overall the weather was mild, except for some rainy and cool conditions in Elk City, ID and the area south of Missoula. Locals commented this was the first significant rain they have had in two months. I was able to transit the 113 mile Mcgruder Corridor in six hours, despite the road being very rough from washouts and downed trees/rock debris from a big storm the prior night. The road through Glacier Park has road construction on the eastern side (St. Mary's) with one way traffic controls with delays up to 30 minutes. Some things to note: 1) As other people have noted, watch out for deer. Montana is an open range state....watch for cattle who frequently hang out on the side of the road. 2) Late afternoon thunder storms pop up and the winds and rains can make riding hazardous. 3) A lot of semi traffic on narrow two lane roads, so be careful when passing. 4) Bring some Windex wipes...the bugs will be hitting your visor and their splats are messy. Billings weather next week is supposed to be mild in the mid-80's. Looking for to having a cold brew with those that make the trip. Safe riding everyone.
Scott A. Moseman
2013 R1200GS
BMWMOA #196924
"A challenging day of riding trumps a productive day at the office."
everin

Re: Ride Report to the Rally

Postby Gordon Olson » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:25 am

Thanks for the report. If you are camping, can you stake out an area in the Chartered Club camping area for the RCB? The rest of us will start arriving Tuesday and the following days. I plan to be there with the RCB banner on Thursday. Save a couple of cold ones for me!

Cheers,
Gordy
RCBPREZ
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby everin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Gordy, I'm staying with my parents south of Billings, but I will be volunteering Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and will try and stake out an area for the club.
Scott A. Moseman
2013 R1200GS
BMWMOA #196924
everin

Postby everin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:27 pm

I had them make a River City Beemers club sign and I placed it in the "Charter Club Camping Area" which is located in the grassy field area below the Grand Stands. The area I staked out is a nice lawn area. There are no trees in this area so bring appropriate sun shades if you have them.
Scott A. Moseman
2013 R1200GS
BMWMOA #196924
everin

Postby Jag Slayer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Hey Scott-113 miles in 6 hours? Are you sure it is the Mcgrudder Corridor not the Road of the Bones? Sounds like you rode a portion of the “Long Way Round”. I am glad to hear that you made it safe though.

Thanks for the ride report and staking a coral for RCB.

Semper Gumby!
All the way Ray!
Jag Slayer

Return to Rides and Destinations