Garmin 176C GPS Help

Does this forum software have you completely befuddled? Use this forum to look for tips or ask for help.

Garmin 176C GPS Help

Postby terryleeca » Sun May 09, 2010 8:37 am

I have a Garmin 176C GPS that just sits in the box because I haven't been able to figure out how to operate it. Is there anyone out there that is familiar with the unit that would be willing to share a little of their time and knowledge with me to get me over the hump so I could use this unit. Could be worth cool beer or two or moca.

Terry
terryleeca

Re: Garmin 176C GPS Help

Postby FolsomTony » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 am

Hi Terry,

If you are going to the Saturday 5/15 breakfast, and bring it with you, we can look at it. It appears to be similar to my small handheld in features, but yours is more Marine oriented, mine is designed for backpacking. Much depends on what you want to do with it. It seems like you could do most things, but additional maps are usually required to get the best benefit when using GPS that are older, or not built for what you want to do.

On the poker run, mine provided little value, I needed to have steet map detail loaded, and I don't have those maps on CD. I was able to see the turns on screen after loading the poker run file(text only), but it was far from turn by turn navigation.

Let me know if you'll be there.
FolsomTony
FolsomTony

Postby terryleeca » Mon May 10, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks Folsom Tony,

I am finding out that loading maps on this unit is no easy chore. I also realize that the unit itself only has an Old Com Port connector (pin type) to connect to a PC. Which now is presenting me a new obstical in that my PC does not have any Com Port pin connections. I only have USB ports. Not sure if I can get a cable to covert Com pin connector to USB at Fry's or not.

I'm begining to think that it isn't worth the effort trying to resurect this old unit. It came with my 1200RT from the previous owner and I was trying to see if I could get it to work.

Not sure yet if I will be free Saturday to make the breakfast but if I can, I'll see you there.

Thanks,
Terry
terryleeca

Postby Keith_H » Mon May 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Getting a USB to RS-232 adapter is easy but if it is a unit that needs to have maps loaded into by region then I would agree, it's not worth it. Get a newer unit. There are lots of refurbs online that are very inexpensive. JMO.
Keith_H

Return to Help Forum