Have we been spam bot farmed????

Does this forum software have you completely befuddled? Use this forum to look for tips or ask for help.

Have we been spam bot farmed????

Postby Firefight911 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Anyone else get this -

Dear BMW- River City Beemers,

Are you ready for some Raiders football? The Oakland Raiders would like to invite you to join other Riders throughout California and Nevada for our First Annual Rider Appreciation Day on October 25th vs. the New York Jets to benefit the Mother Mary Ann Wright Foundation.

A portion of each ticket will go back to support the Mother Wright Foundation and includes a food voucher good for a small hot dog, small bag of chips and a soft drink! In addition, each club will be recognized on the Raiders Matrix board during the game when you bring out 5 or more riders.

Parking and transportation will be provided at Bob Dron Harley Davidson which is located at 151 Hegenberger Rd in Oakland. For more details please contact Lee Pike (510-780-3259) or Tamra Appiano (510-780-3228) at the Raiders.

We look forward to having you join us for a great day of riding and football! Please feel free to extend this offer to everyone you know that rides so that they too can support this great cause!

See You at the Game!!!

Go Raiders!!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS TEAMING UP WITH

The Mary Ann Wright Foundation

http://www.raiders.com/uploadedImages/N ... lic300.gif

CELEBRATE 50 YEARS OF DEDICATION

ALL ORDERS MUST BE RECEIVED BY SEPTEMBER 25TH

It doesn't repost as it came to me but you get the idea. And, how are we gonna stop this? For one, I hate the Raiders. :) And two, I don't care to receive spam mail like this through our website.
Firefight911

Re: Have we been spam bot farmed????

Postby Steve Finsterbusch » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 am

Nope, haven't seen that one. But I do get an occasional spam from a guy trying to sell pictures from Harley Rallies. I wonder if there's a connection....
MOA/RA
MBCA
GSSF
'05 R1150RT
'92 K75s
Steve Finsterbusch

Postby Fred(Prez2.1) » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:18 am

I got two of them the other day, but I get A LOT of them that get sent to info@rcb which end up in my email at home. Most are benign and have no relevance to us, things like "join our ride for Cletus in East Overshoe, Alabama" and so forth. This is the first I heard of a mass email spam in a while, I know that Ken and Phil are constantly weeding out spammers as much as they can, I'm sure they are working on preventing this from happenng again. And I too have been a Raider hater for over 35 years, very similar to my feelings about a certain brand of motorcycle. :wink:
2013 R1200RT 90 year anniversary
2009 R1200RT The final bike (OOPS, I meant the other one)
IBA #24559
"I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member" - Groucho Marx
Fred(Prez2.1)

Postby woodp » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:59 am

Unless readyhost (rcb.org's host) has a security hole that a 747 could fly through, this is not a farmed attack.

As best as I can tell, and based on having two other "motorcycle" email address, the Raiders organization is "dictionary attacking" a number of "motorcycle" domains. Dictionary attacking is selecting a domain (such as rcb.org) and trying every word in the dictionary against it. It takes seconds to try every admin@, sales@, jim@ account. Most get returned as "550 errors - addressee unknown," but others get through to info@, treasurer@ and so on.

First a reality check - Spam filtering is done (for most normal users) at their destination mailbox - Your yahoo or comcast or whatever account - And not by any forwarding server such as rcb.org. There really isn't anything rcb.org can do (except removing your forwarder) to stop mail, whether spam or legitimate.

But moving past that, the Raiders email is Illegal. Plain and simple. And I would have expected them to know better. It is UCE (unsolicited Commercial Email) without an unsubscribe option, from the Raiders.com domain, and a clear violation of CAN-SPAM.

Check out the FTC website at http://www.ftc.gov/spam/. From there you can either forward the Raiders email to the FTC, or you can fill out a complaint form. I guarantee the knucklehead who conceived this mailing will NEVER do it again if enough recipients complain!

But as I wear silver and black underwear, I really don't see the harm?!?!?!
Phil Wood - RCB Member Emeritus
woodp@woodp.com - 916/673-3456
IBA #21233, RA #32719
woodp

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:28 pm

...but is the offer real?

I'm no fan of the Raidahs, but I do like the Jets. You'd have to inherit tickets to either NY football team to see them at the stadium back East. This looks good, but is it too good to be true?
Bob

Return to Help Forum