A few suggestions

Does this forum software have you completely befuddled? Use this forum to look for tips or ask for help.

A few suggestions

Postby Lynn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:05 pm

Could you make the "RCB Home" link larger or in some way more prominent (to make it easier to see how to "get home")?

Other than that, I think the site is looking good, and I hope it is functioning better for you who have to do the admin and maintenance! -- Lynn
Lynn

Re: A few suggestions

Postby ken » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Changing the RCB Home page link appearance is not very easy. We've thought of ways to make it easier to get back to the RCB Home page, but there are trade-offs. Ultimately, we concluded that once members get used to the way it works, it won't be a problem. Nothing is cast in concrete, though.
Eat. Ride. Repeat.
ken

Postby Lynn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:01 pm

I don't pretend to understand the programming, and I certainly don't want you to think I'm not appreciative of the fact that this stuff is not easy.

I think the big thing for me is that, if a person is not logged in, and one does not have to be logged in to read the posts, there is NO rcb home link. Only once a person logs in is there a way to navigate back to the rcb home page. Just from a usability standpoint, it seems that consistent navigation, if only to the home page, would be user friendly...

That being said, I do like the site, but need to know -- how do I get the Smilies to work? When I go ---------------------->
over there and click on one of those cute little emoticons, I get this: :mrgreen: instead of the grinning greenie...

:cry:

Can you help, or will I be emotionally stunted for ever... ;-)
Lynn

Postby Lynn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:02 pm

OH -- I see -- one doesn't see the emoticons until the posting has occurred. My bad. Most sorry...
Lynn

Postby ken » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Lynn wrote:I don't pretend to understand the programming, and I certainly don't want you to think I'm not appreciative of the fact that this stuff is not easy.

I think the big thing for me is that, if a person is not logged in, and one does not have to be logged in to read the posts, there is NO rcb home link. Only once a person logs in is there a way to navigate back to the rcb home page. Just from a usability standpoint, it seems that consistent navigation, if only to the home page, would be user friendly...

Hi Lynn,
Hmmm. Not logging in... That never occured to me. :wink:
Well, we may come up with something to address that issue, but meanwhile there's the Back button on your browser... :idea:
Eat. Ride. Repeat.
ken

"RCB Home" Link and Smily Preview

Postby woodp » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:17 am

Lynn wrote:if a person is not logged in, and one does not have to be logged in to read the posts, there is NO rcb home link.

Well, there is now, although I would really be curious why you prefer reading not logged in. When you're logged in, the system remembers you and what posts you've *already* read. Personally, I like the "View New Posts" button that only shows me what I haven't yet read.

Is there a reason you prefer not to log in?

Lynn wrote:how do I get the Smilies to work? When I go ---------------------->
over there and click on one of those cute little emoticons, I get this: :mrgreen: instead of the grinning greenie...

Ah, what you're looking for is the Preview button. After composing your masterpiece, look for the Preview button below editor as in this picture: (By the way, you need to click the picture to see the whole thing.)
SmilyPost.jpg
Look for the Preview button
SmilyPost.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 4166 times

When click on that, you're presented with a preview (what else?) of what your post will look like. Don't see it? Sometimes you need to scroll up, but it's there just like this second picture:
SmilyPreview.jpg
Scroll up to see the preview
SmilyPreview.jpg (49.34 KiB) Viewed 4166 times

Lynn wrote:Can you help, or will I be emotionally stunted for ever... ;-)

I dunno, but I'm wondering if it's "Smily" or "Smiley." This is the question that is haunting me!
Phil Wood - RCB Member Emeritus
woodp@woodp.com - 916/673-3456
IBA #21233, RA #32719
woodp

Return to Help Forum