Lithium Ion battery vs. Charge Log

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

Lithium Ion battery vs. Charge Log

Postby bmrjack » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Seeing Steve H's post on this forum about a charge log reminds me of a related issue I've wanted to post.
I bought a Shorai Lithium ion battery around 3-4? years ago?, & after they replaced the first one with an "upgrade" it has performed flawlessly. I've never charged it, ride at least once per week.
The Shorai cost me $240-they had just come out. They came down thereafter.
Today I was in Batteries + Bulbs on other matters & saw their motorcycle batteries. They do indeed sell lithium ion batteries. They did sell Shorai at first but have replaced them with Sky Rich?, which they consider a superior battery. They are MODEL SPECIFIC!, meaning they might not have one for your bike. For my 2005 1200 GS it would be $135 and take a week to get from their main warehouse. Like my Shorai it weighs about 1/3 of an OEM battery.
Might try this Steve. I'm not OCD enough to keep a charge log. I got enough trouble remembering when to change my oil.
bmrjack

Re: Lithium Ion battery vs. Charge Log

Postby SteveH » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks for that, Jack. So far the replacement battery is holding up. I have no idea what the value of this "charge log" is, since after every ride the bike goes back on the charger. The test will be when I take a trip out of town. Damn if I'm going to buy a new battery for a bike that is still under warranty and gets ridden regularly.
SteveH

Return to Motorcycle Discussions