R1100RT cam chain guide replacement

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

R1100RT cam chain guide replacement

Postby tjrob2000 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:37 am

Anyone replaced a cam chain guide on the oilheads? The upper guide on the right cyl broke (apparently during head removal) and needs replacing which requires removing the engine and splitting the case. If anyone has done this I'd much appreciate any guidance/assistance that can be given. I have the Chilton manual and will certainly use this as my primary guide but experienced hands would be a great help as well. My goal is to get this done over the next week or two.

Tom
Rocklin
tjrob2000

Re: R1100RT cam chain guide replacement

Postby Past Prez » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:28 am

Years ago Mike at Ozzie's replaced my 96's chain rails without splitting the cases. He did have to pull the transmission though. It might be worth asking him.
Past Prez

Postby tjrob2000 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:28 pm

I posted this to the iBMWR tech list and someone sent a youtube link to a Chris Harris video showing how to do this. I may follow that route. One thing though is putting the piston back in the cylinder. It doesn't look like you can put through the top and then reattach the wrist pin.
tjrob2000

Postby quack » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:10 am

tjrob2000 wrote:I posted this to the iBMWR tech list and someone sent a youtube link to a Chris Harris video showing how to do this. I may follow that route. One thing though is putting the piston back in the cylinder. It doesn't look like you can put through the top and then reattach the wrist pin.

If your not sure about how to put a piston back in, you may consider having this done by a mechanic. Might be cheaper in the long run. Don't ask how I know.
michael miller
quack

Return to Motorcycle Discussions