F800GS Steering Head Preventetive Maintenance

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

F800GS Steering Head Preventetive Maintenance

Postby MooMoo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Help Needed.

Bike: 2014 F800GS

I just wanted to know if I would be able to drop the forks and lower bearings and grease them (upper and lower) without removing the wheel and without removing the forks completely off of the bike (cables, etc)? I know that the F800gs bearings are notorious for failing and likely due to a lack of grease and the quality of bearing used by BMW. I have performed all of the adjustments to ensure the precise torque setting and seating of the bearings (with load on the wheel). I just want to take the extra step to inspect, clean and lube the bearings as much as I can while still mounted to the column. Many people have needed to replace them at the 7k mark and I am getting close to that number. You think BMW would have incorporated a grease cert for as much punishment these bikes were made to endure (and used a German Bearing and Race).

Any help is appreciated.
MooMoo

Re: F800GS Steering Head Preventetive Maintenance

Postby JoeR » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:01 pm

I have a 2011 F800gs. I replaces the front springs with the hyperpro probresives a few years back. That involved removing the forks from the triple trees. I didnt have to get into the cables or break lines at all. I just tied them up with some bailing wire so they werent hanging and did the work. I havent heard about the notorious bearing issues and have 24k on the bike with no problems. Even with lots of rein, mud and dust. It shouldnt be difficult to get to the bearings and inspect/service them.
JoeR

Re: F800GS Steering Head Preventetive Maintenance

Postby MooMoo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Great, Joe. That is definitely good to know. I am always a little skeptical about turning wrenches on a bike that I have never worked on before and one that is new...even with all the videos out there. It looks simple enough.

Its good to know that you haven't had any issues with the bearings. I think it was more prevalent in the 09's, but there are a few F800GS owners out there that have posted in different forums about the issue. I'm probably blowing it out of proportion. When it comes to my bike, once I get on something it is hard for me to let that said thing go.

I have been thinking about Hyperpros and a steering damper. On the other hand, I need to lose some weight. Its amazing how 30 lbs less will make the ride an all-around completely different experience. I guess losing some weight would make it easier on my bearings as well. :D

Thanks
MooMoo

Return to Motorcycle Discussions