K1200S Woes

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

K1200S Woes

Postby JVezirian » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Need some help from any K1200S owners in the club.

Well today was supposed to be my first club Saturday meeting attendance, yep a newbie, and was very excited, to meet all the folks.

Well I got up, had me some coffee, got all suited up and went out to ride to meet all the folks. I started the bike, and it started just fine, purred like a kitten, then as I was pulling to my gate to exit where I live, it started running rough, and not even out of the gate, it died. Would not restart unless I had the throttle turned a little giving it gas, and it ran rough, honestly like missing on a cylinder.

Well I pushed it back to my garage and put up onto center stand, did through inspection. As a note, I live in Elk Grove, commute to San Ramon, 3 times a week min, and I had ridden back from there the night before, and had absolutely no problems, got home, let it cool and washed it for the next morning, that was it, it sat the night.

Well I could not flat out see anything wrong, and the oil was between the min and max, although, lower than mid way, but not very low, I let it sit came inside, waited to call A&S, then went outside to look again, had a tow coming, well I added a little more oil, and started, started just fine, purred like a kitten, I left on the stand and just observed, within maybe a minute, less than two, she started running all rough again and died.

I tried to start, ran rough, would not hold an idle, and I noticed, smoke, near the oil filter, maybe just below the filter, no lots, but enough,, but as it ran, there was a bit more, and I also noticed some oil soot at the end of the exhaust, oh hell, burning oil???? First thing shot through my head was cracked ring.

So it is now at A&S, my service appointment for 52K checkup and full service was to be Friday the 14th, now it is there early :( and missed the chance to meet all the folks and possibly ride, but good thing it did not do this too me out there or worse on a ride.

So my question, any K1200 or K1300 owners ever experience anything like this??????

Sure does suck.....
Need to be out riding
John Vezirian
Elk Grove, Sacramento Ca
JVezirian

Re: K1200S Woes

Postby RocklinMike » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Well, not an expert but, these bikes have had cam chain tenshioner issues. Ask Mike Miller. Smoke at the oil filter? Weird, and related? Hope it is a minor issue and u get it sorted but...welcome to the club if that helps. Keep us posted.
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
2013 R1200GS (Stofer WTRBXR)
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby JVezirian » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks mike,

Yes I am hoping it is minor also.

I also posted on K-Bikes forum and I-BMW and have had several K1200 owners come back and point to the coils, which from what I hear are notorious for going out around 50,000 miles, and I have 52,000. On top of that the only thing I had done differently was wash it and blow it out, and inadvertently blew water through the radiator onto the coils, as one owner told me he experienced the exact same thing not thinking once and pressure washed the front radiator, and went through the same issue, but the next day after it throughly dried out, his ran just fine.

So I am looking at that. as for the smoke, I am hoping that may be some spilled oil possibly from the upper level tube, I have been researching my bike, but cannot verify the oil tank cap, all the BMW documentation shows a T type cap handle, but mine has a pull up spring loaded cap on top of the T cap, and I man not sure if this is a release for pressure or honestly what.

I am new to the K-Bikes and still trying to research, I wish I could have go to the tech day today, as my bike was there.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

John
Need to be out riding
John Vezirian
Elk Grove, Sacramento Ca
JVezirian

Postby quack » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:37 am

Sounds like you got water where it shouldn't be. I don't think you can get the coils wet enough with a garden hose. Was the smoke white out of the exhaust, if so that maybe just water that somehow got into the air-snorkel when you washed it, smoking around the oil filter could be just a lose filter driping onto the exhaust pipes.
michael miller
quack

Postby JVezirian » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Smoke near filter appeared to be white, there was dark soot near the exhaust pipe end, I did not spray any water into or near the intake snorkel points, I keep clear of those, and I had not changed the oil, so filter should be tight, I had added some to the oil tank, some spilled, but I did not think it was enough to get down to the pipe, and there was not like on the lower pan, so hell I am not sure, but I did rinse the radiator lightly then blew it out with the compressor,
Need to be out riding
John Vezirian
Elk Grove, Sacramento Ca
JVezirian

Postby JVezirian » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:54 pm

November 14, 2014

Well here is an update to all interested........

The bike finally was looked at today. Damn, rough week, as it sat down at the dealer all week till my service appointment today. Well the service technician got the bike and started it, and low and behold, it started just fine like it did for me. He let it sit and idle and warm up and then bam!!!!!

It began to sputter, shake, rattle, smoke out the pipe and die!!!! He let it sit for a bit and restarted, it did the same thing.....

Well it was not wet coils...... But they were to be checked anyhow..

11:18AM PST: Got a call from the service manager, the tech wanted the service work put on hold till they found out why it was running so rough... Quote was $300.00 which would be applied to the service, since they have to remove the faring, radiator, coils and such to do their investigation. So gave them the go ahead.

3:00 PM PST: Service manager called, they were still working on the bike, and at the moment were stumped:
Coils inspected and tested fine
Compression fine.
Valves fine
Valve timing fine
head gasket fine
No exhaust clogs
No oil leaks, but still some smoke near filter...May be exhaust leak
No cracks in case or anything

I asked if any of my work could in any way have an affect I have done the following:
Upgraded front running light to LED
Upgraded headlights to Xenon
Upgraded front turn signals to running lights
Upgraded rear turn signals to running lights and turn signals
Added some LED's on trunk case tied to rear brake and turn signals.
Added LED brake lights under the passenger pegs (will post a pic).
Added wireless helmet brake and turn signal light (Whistler), ties to brake and turn signals at the rear, powered from a fuse block I installed under the seat.
Added some LED fog lights on the front.
Converted the two Roundels to LED back-lit roundels, tied to front running light and turn signals.
Added Stubel Air Horn this was 3 weeks ago.
Added some ground effect lights tied to fuse block, wireless control. Hey its my toy...lol
Tinkered with color wireless IR wireless WIFI cam at the rear, ties to my iPhone mounted to my bars, power from rear running light so no engine connection.

None of my mods have any engine or ignition connection other than lights. I have never worked behind the radiator, only work behind the side faring panels, adding the horn.

My oil level has never, since I have had it been below the min level.
Up till now, I have ridden it to work on the highway, minimal town riding, to and from work, my commute is about 96 miles each way.
I have never overheated at anytime since I bought the bike, oh by the way bought it used, 46,000 miles, excellent condition, I have seen all the service records since day one of the previous owner, and he serviced every 6000 miles for oil and such and has done all major services, all recalls have been preformed.
Oil has never been over filled... Man I baby this bike.
Yes I washed it with water, but I have had many bikes and always have, just no direct pressure spraying, and I washed all summer and not one issue. I did as stated before blow it dry with an air compressor, that is only difference.

So like I said, it is still sitting at the shop, hopefully tomorrow they will find what is wrong. But the tech is perplexed at the moment. Because like I said, he started it up and he said initially he thought it was fine, purred like a kitten, then when temp hit like 3 bars.... Bam rough run, sputtering, man it shakes, and rattles, till you pull in the clutch, then less rattling, but still will not maintain idle unless you crank the throttle some, then it is still very very rough.

5:45PM PST.... Spoke to Service manager tomorrow they will be working on it. Tonight I just cracked open a few beers and said dammit......

OK.. Here is a question. If something got down into the intake snorkels, could it cause issues as such with idling? I know it may sound crazy but I think my grandson (he is 4years old) may have popped a couple Lego's in the left hand side. I passed this on to the Service Manager I know a crazy thought, but I am a believer when you eliminate the probable causes, you have to look at the improbable causes.

Well that was the day today........
Need to be out riding
John Vezirian
Elk Grove, Sacramento Ca
JVezirian

Postby JVezirian » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:48 am

Well just got of the phone with the Service Manager.

They discovered the problem, a faulty throttle sensor, has to be replaced $150.00 part and additional labor...

Well my 52,000 mile service is going to be $1700.00 out the door but have to talk to them about that...

Honestly not sure about that... Would that cause the smoking? They did say the plugs were bad, but all compression factors were good.

So just have to see when they finally get it completed.
Need to be out riding
John Vezirian
Elk Grove, Sacramento Ca
JVezirian

Postby quack » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:36 am

I would have thought that the OBD computer would have caught the faulty throttle sensor right away, maybe saving you some money.
michael miller
quack

Postby JVezirian » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:32 pm

Well me too....

UPDATE!!!!!!

Well got the bike back today 9:30 PSt... Hopped onto the freeway right from the shop..... Damn she got some pep to her again, honestly I think it is running better now than when I first bought it, the folks at A&S did an excellent job, although it cost me $1750.00, I have to still say I am happy. Hell came down the on ramp and let her rip, hell I was at 90 mph in no time flat and was definitely smoother. I would get a bit more vibration at 80 mph, was much smoother, and still had great acceleration from there.

Had a nice talk with the tech who worked on the bike just to go over everything he did, he said he checked all the coild and they are in excellent shape, he said the placement of the TPS does pot it at risk of heat fatigue, and like the coils, becomes a common problem at 50K+ miles.

All in all very happy now, although they did not reconnect my running lights and and a couple other things, but I will clean all that up Sunday.
Need to be out riding
John Vezirian
Elk Grove, Sacramento Ca
JVezirian

Return to Motorcycle Discussions