Ham radio operators

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

Ham radio operators

Postby mivie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:05 pm

I have been a SAG rider for the Markleeville Death Ride bicycle event for the past 8 years. For this year the organizers wanted to outfit us with ham radios rather than us having to ride to a check point & find the radio operator to report an issue.
Our fearless leader Kim Rydalch found a HamCram class put on by a Ham club in Virginia City, Nevada during a convention they were having last weekend. They test you right afterwards, grade you and submit your application to the FCC on passing. Kim, Kim Jorgensen, Bruce Hilger (shopdoc) & myself(call sign KK6MWU) are now all officially licensed ham radio operators (Technician Class) (newbie).
Which brings me to the second reason for this post. Are there any RCBer's that are fairly local and are seasoned Ham operatiors who wouldn't mind helping out a newbie? Tx, Mike Ivie
mivie

Re: Ham radio operators

Postby Kim J. » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Kilo Kilo 6 Mike Whiskey Uniform........Kilo Kilo 6 Mike Whiskey Tango. Hey Mike. I'd say were assigned our call signs at about the same time. Now we can sound like the geeky old farts at the convention. Oh GOD, I've used my call sign twice now. Once to Kim and now to you. Does that make me nerdly?

- The other Kim
Kim J..... the "other" Kim
2000 1150GS
BMWOA # 140617
Kim J.

Re: Ham radio operators

Postby firstbeemer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:59 am

I know this post comes rather late but I am K6CVC, licensed since 1968. If I can help in any way call me at 916-765-1950 or email at k6cvc@usham.me
Chuck Costa
chuck@calcosta.com
2014 R1200RT WC - Quartz Blue
2011 R1200RT-Thunder Grey (R.I.P)
firstbeemer

Return to Motorcycle Discussions