Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires for R1200RT - Standard or GT

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires for R1200RT - Standard or GT

Postby r90beemer » Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 am

I did some research as to whether the standard PR 4 was adequate for the R1200RT models or if the the GT was the correct tire. Here is the result of that question when asked of Michelin.

Question:
I have a 2005 BMW R1200RT I ride solo mostly without luggage and weigh less than 180 #. I am interested in the Pilot Road 4 tires and have not found a definitive definition for "heavy" GT type bike in your literature. My bike is light and I have run Pilot Road 2 tires for 40,000 miles and like them very much. I don't want a stiffer sidewall if I don't need it. From what I have seen so far I am leaning toward the standard PR 4 unless there is a compelling reason for the GT tire. What is your advice?

Answer:
The GT is the only approved version of the Pilot Road 4 for the BMW R 1200 RT.

Even though you generally do not have additional weight, this tire will provide the best ride, handling, and wear for this bike.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

So, there we have it, straight from Michelin. And, I would suppose the answer would be the same regarding the K1200GT and K1300GT and other so-called GT bikes.
Tom Moe :)
Tom Moe
Montana BMW Rider :D
r90beemer

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires for R1200RT - Standard or GT

Postby ken » Fri May 09, 2014 11:37 am

I used Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on the rear of my K1200GT, and tried the GT version once.
I couldn't really tell the difference in ride or handling, and didn't get a significant difference in wear.
It was more difficult to install, and cost more than the standard PR2.
My feeling is that although the GT was definitely heavy enough for Michelin's recommendation of the GT tire, it really wasn't worth it.
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the '05 RT is probably only borderline heavy enough, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Eat. Ride. Repeat.
ken

Postby quack » Mon May 12, 2014 9:02 am

Maybe I better run out to the garage and take off those Q3 Dunlop that are on my R1200RT before the sidewalls cave in. :?
michael miller
quack

Postby ken » Wed May 14, 2014 11:05 am

Here's is some interesting information on tires: Tire info.
Scroll down to the Motorcycle Tire section and read how to decipher the tire size, load, and speed ratings.
Then click on "See load rating chart" and find your tire's ratings. It does appear to mean the whole motorcycle, but it's not completely clear whether the loads are for the whole motorcycle or just the front or rear tire.
For example, reading the load chart, a Michelin Pilot Road 2, with a 73 rating, handles up to 805 lbs. That's good for a 600 lb. bike with a 200 lb. rider. If your weights add up to more than that, you may need the GT version.
Eat. Ride. Repeat.
ken

Postby r90beemer » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:53 pm

I did acquire PR4 GT tires on my 05 R1200RT. I have put close to 600 miles on them so far and I am very impressed with ride, handling, stickiness and stability. Obviously no rain riding yet so no comment on wet road handling. They do make a bit of road noise at lower speeds like any heavily siped tire might. But as soon as you get to 30 or so you can't hear mile road noise above the other typical wind and motorcycle noise. I think I made the right decision to hold out for the GT tires over the standard for this size of bike even though I mostly ride single without luggage. :)
Tom Moe
Tom Moe
Montana BMW Rider :D
r90beemer

Return to Motorcycle Discussions