Schuberth C 3

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

Schuberth C 3

Postby bmrjack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:16 am

I'm very frustrated. Purchased subject helmet circa 2012. After a year or so noticed the wind screen visor detente' (ratchet) became less and less able to hold the shield and it would slam closed at any speed over 40 mph or so.
Months later I went to the Rally at Salem. Techs at the booth said there was a fix. In 30 minutes I had a helmet good as new.
Several months ago the ratchet again began to deteriorate. I went to the local dealer I will herein after to as You Know Who, (UKW). UKW is listed on the Scuberth website and national magazines as an authorized service dealer-there aren't that many nationwide. UKW said they were not aware of any fix, had called Schuberth without success.
I called Schuberth, talked to the head tech whose particulars I have should anyone have a legitimate need. Tech said there is indeed a fix. Seems many dealers do provide such service, but they had not resolved the matter with UKW. Tech offered to send me the fix instructions & if I thought I could handle same, send me the parts. I have the instructions now. Tech is attempting to locate another authorized service dealer within a reasonable distance.
There Is a 7 year manufacturers warranty and a 5 year warranty from date of purchase. I don't even want to go there save to say that therein may lie the rub-who does what?
I don't spend $700 big ones on a helmet every day. My Nolan, which was about as comfortable as a waste basket, had no problems with the windscreen detente'. I love the C3, but this appears to be a systemic problem.
I'm not looking for a freebie. At present my only solution is to send it back to Schuberth-which I find unpalatable, or get the parts & try to fix it myself.
HELP!!
bmrjack

Re: Schuberth C 3

Postby Roseville Rick » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:07 am

Solution:
Do not ride above 40 MPH

Problem solved...

No need to thank me...

Would not recommend riding with a wastebasket on your head...

Rick
2009 BMW R1200GS
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
RCB Since 2011
IBA #50411
Roseville Rick

Postby terryleeca » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:28 am

Have you talked with San Jose BMW? They are the reps for Schubert in Northern Cal?
terryleeca

Postby Jadoca » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:49 pm

Don't see why you need help when you already have the solution....
Jadoca

Postby bmrjack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Jadoca wrote:Don't see why you need help when you already have the solution....

Sorry, what "solution". I have the instructions, presumably will get the parts, I guess that must equal the solution?? If I'm following u, that might be like repairing my Rolex. There are a few minor issues like getting the torque specs right. My torque wrench does fine on a John Deere, but getting detente' specs right might be a little tricky. Guess I could always just nail/glue it in one position.

Kibitzing aside it appears that the parties are gravitating towards an accommodation, after a couple of years of persistent bitching. Amazing what can accrue from being a pain in the ass. Stay tuned.
bmrjack

Postby Mike Herte » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Jack, I was talking to our parts manager here at UKW and he was wondering if you need assistance with the face shield (visor) or the chin bar? (The visor being what you look through or the chin bar - the modular mechanism that rotates up.)
Mike Herte

Postby Jadoca » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Most generous offer from UKW for 1 of there more challenged customers.....
Jadoca

Postby bmrjack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Jadoca wrote:Most generous offer from UKW for 1 of there more challenged customers.....

1. My regrets re your being "one of their most challenged customers". For myself, I'm rarely challenged but extremely pig headed.
2. Mike Herte. The problem is with the windscreen, not the chinbar. Schuberth has informed me today that UKW has worked things out. I will check this out after Saturday breakfast.

Finally, as soon as I made my first post I regretted not adding a blurb re UKW. Unless anyone misunderstood my remarks, let me go on record saying they're the best dealership I've ever been around, & that's quite a few, starting as a kid with Amol Precision, where it all began.
bmrjack

Postby Jadoca » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:15 pm

I agree with you Jack, A&S is a very good dealership. Parts and service have done me some real good turns. We are lucky to have such a nice place so close to home. Thanks A&S! :D
Jadoca

Postby quack » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:31 pm

Too bad they won't take them back when you just don't like them. I have three xl, l, med. Two Bluetooth sets. real reasonable.
michael miller
quack

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:11 pm

You have a Rolex?
Bob

Postby quack » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:25 am

had one , but donated it when I retired.
michael miller
quack

Postby rydalch » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:06 pm

quack wrote:Too bad they won't take them back when you just don't like them. I have three xl, l, med. Two Bluetooth sets. real reasonable.

Sell your three Schuberth C3's on eBay. I never could get used to my C3 and finally quit wearing it. I decided to sell it on eBay and I ended up selling it to the highest bidder for $450! Schuberth's sell for big money on eBay. Give it a try.
rydalch

Postby quack » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:08 pm

I'll give e-bay a try. Thanks
michael miller
quack

Postby bmrjack » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:37 pm

UPDATE: I am very pleased to report that A&S has stepped up. Schuberth sent them the parts for the fix to the windscreen ratchets and Kirk of A&S fixed it Saturday morning after breakfast whilst I entertained the troops. I'm grateful to all parties in the process and intend in the future to be a lot less "flippy" with windscreen operation.
bmrjack

Postby RocklinMike » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 pm

JAAAAAACCCKK!
Glad you got your lid squared away! So....did you make sock puppets for the troops?
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
2013 R1200GS (Stofer WTRBXR)
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby bmrjack » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 am

RocklinMike wrote:JAAAAAACCCKK!
Glad you got your lid squared away! So....did you make sock puppets for the troops?

MIIIIKKKKEEEE! Sock puppets for the troops? Way over my head. Couldst perchance you and Onecloud have gone to the same literary seminary?
bmrjack

Return to Motorcycle Discussions