Recall on fuel leaks

Want to discuss the relative merits of the GS vs the RT? Or need help adjusting your brake cables? This is the place.

Recall on fuel leaks

Postby Steve Jones » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:58 pm

Steve Jones

Re: Recall on fuel leaks

Postby Steve Jones » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 am

This recall applies to most 2005-2011 R1200 models, 2005-2012 K models and some S1000R bikes. It involves the fuel pump flange. There is a very informative tread on BMWST.com, here:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... Post731161
Steve Jones

Re: Recall on fuel leaks

Postby Shopdoc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:17 pm

Sometimes what I think coincidence is more than subtlety of the mind. Several days ago mention on a BMW Forum of a cracked fuel pump flange. This produced a strong gasoline smell, sprayed ignitable fuel from an area just behind the handlebars. Scary to imagine spark ignition setting this off and a tank of gas blowing up in your face. The author recognized this and shut his bike down immediately. Call to the BMW dealer they blandly quoted a $500 repair with no empathy. Call to BMW North America failed to produce a response (unusual). So author sent complaint to Department of Transportation and got a registration confirmation (pending) and copied that to BMW NA. he was not pleased but proceeded to repair the crack with JB Weld and will keep close watch of this. His was an 05 model BMWRT.

I spent some time going over parts fiches to understand the internals better of my own machine.

Today I decided to replace the fan belt on my GS. Which went along well, about 2 hours’ work, mostly involved removing the crash bars. Finished, I started the bike to make sure the alternator was working and smelled gas. “Unusual?” So I look between the handle bar and the tank and the pump-well has a small puddle of liquid which is gas. This is exactly in the same place as the pictures in the article I have saved; it was dated October, 2012. I clean and dry the pump-well. Start the bike and wiggle the fuel lines connected and nothing spurts. Bike motor off and nothing oozes immediately but several hours later new gas appears. Obviously the fuel came from somewhere so I call Chris at Ozzies BMW. He knows about this. Tells me don’t ride it. They will take the bike and put in a new pump; there may be a small charge. Problem is a plastic fitting that gets brittle and starts to crack. BMW has not decided the next step, like a recall but is supportive of the current problem, as this is an early-phase development (my bike is an ’08 GS with 50K miles). The issue is a work in progress.

I don't need to guess how or when I would have found this if I hadn't read the above notice or the article.
Shopdoc
Shopdoc

Return to Motorcycle Discussions