Death Valley Rendezvous

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

Death Valley Rendezvous

Postby Al morrison » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Anyone planning to go the Death Valley Rendezvous being held February 12-15? I've never been ... am thinking of taking a ride (weather permitting). If interested in going, give me a call at 916-955-2381. Al
Al morrison

Re: Death Valley Rendezvous

Postby Gordon Olson » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:07 am

Bon voyage!!
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby Rand Olson » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Several of us are thinking about going down and riding some dirt in DV. Are weighing the choices of riding with lots of people or just going down, not with a bunch of folks, and checking out some of the dirt down there. We might even haul down and camp for several days sometime in late Feb. or early March. Haven't got it all nailed down yet but would like to have you join us if you would like to.
Rand Olson

Postby Hawkster » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Al, if you go , try to get to Schat's s bakery and Mahogany Smoked Meats (beef jerky), both in Bishop on the way. Also, visit Zabriskie Point in the morning and Artist's Palette in the afternoon for best lighting.
Hmm...maybe I need another trip to DV.

BruceW.
Kid, the next time I say "Let's go someplace like Bolivia", let's go someplace like Bolivia!
Hawkster

Postby jack » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:52 pm

I've got GPS tracks for nearly all of the DV rides. Some are NOT GS friendly so I'll be sure to send you on those first. :D Titus Canyon is GS friendly and a must do. If you want the tracks, send me an e-mail.

Suggest spending some time on advrider.com for latest road conditions in DV as they had a lot of rain last summer. There is a discussion dedicated to that topic. Also need to check when there whether there is snow on South Pass as that is the portal with the lowest elevation (about 6000 feet) to Saline Valley and the hot springs.

Jack
jack

Postby Steve Jones » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:26 pm

I was thinking about going. Haven't been in a long time. Depending on the weather, go down either Thursday and stop halfway or leave early Friday and go all the way.
Steve Jones

Postby Greg Gibson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Rand,

Like Jack says, most of DV is GS friendly. I don't know about advrider for advice; I've read lots of BS on there. All of the popular dirt trails are easily ridden. Even Goler Wash/Mengel Pass/Butte Valley, which many claim is a double black diamond GS ride is pretty easily passable for novices if you have a friend and don't mind pushing/bulldogging here or there. I've seen you ride, can't imagine you having a lot of trouble there. Lippencott Mine is steep and somewhat loose, but if you take your time it's pretty passable as well on GS'.

Al, I used to go to the old DV President's Day meeting every year for many years starting in the early '80s. Used to be a lot of fun and debauchery back when it was a National Monument and only had about two patrolmen. I haven't been since it's become a National Park. I think it's a pretty sleepy meeting now. The weather can be absolutely perfect in February though, although I don't know that I'd try to get there by way of Bishop/395 this time of year. Can't beat a ride to the desert in the winter.
Greg Gibson

Postby Rand Olson » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Greg, recently bought a DR650 and have been riding it a lot. Would probably take that down there to make sure there are no problems. I've been all over DV on my GS but not much off road. Would like to see some of the more remote places and make the DV to Beaty run. Thank you for the information. I guess Jack has got some tracks for some runs down there as well. If not we'll just take off and see what's up.
Rand Olson

Postby Hawkster » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Rand, for those off road and other areas you might go to in DV, would a CRF250L have enough grunt to handle?
BruceW.
Kid, the next time I say "Let's go someplace like Bolivia", let's go someplace like Bolivia!
Hawkster

Postby Jadoca » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Hawkster wrote:Rand, for those off road and other areas you might go to in DV, would a CRF250L have enough grunt to handle?
BruceW.

Piece of cake...
Jadoca

Postby Steve Jones » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:16 am

Anyone still thinking about going to the airhead event? If I go it will be down the valley then over the mountains at Lake Isabella. Too much snow and ice to go over 50 or 80.
As for going there on a 250, it's over 400 miles of paved roads to get to Furnace Creek which is a long way on that small of a motorcycle. As for trailering, I'd check with the Airhead club to make sure they have parking.
Check details here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/events/EventDetai ... 164&group=
Steve Jones

Postby Hawkster » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:33 pm

Steve-
You are right about riding a 250 down to Furnace Creek. I was thinking about the possibility Rand mentioned about hauling the dirtbikes down there late Feb, early March.

BruceW
Hawkster

Postby quack » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:04 pm

I'm leaving on the 11th Thursday. Haven't made up my mind which way to go yet, but I've got about 4 routes to pick from. Depends on the weather.
michael miller
quack

Postby Steve Jones » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:45 am

Made it home safe and sound. Had a great time, unbelievable weather. Went over the mountains on 88 then down 395. Was a lot of snow but the roadway was dry and ice free. The Airheads did a good job hosting the event.
As for dirt riding, you should check at the visitor centers for current road conditions. There are some road closures due to extreme rainfall last October.
Steve Jones

Return to Rides and Destinations