Iron Butt Saddle Soar 1000 June 21st Invitation

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

Iron Butt Saddle Soar 1000 June 21st Invitation

Postby Jeanie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:13 pm

RCB's are invited to sign up and ride an Iron Butt event June 21st. 4-5 women (most of us RCB members) are going to do this introductory Iron Butt Ride, with awesome help from Fred Jewel who will sign the group in and out and additional safety sweeping by Lynn Yelland and signing in at the halfway point with Jey Yelland. It's gonna be a great experience- if you want to challenge your self sign up! We need 10 riders, so if you are at all inclined to do this introductory Iron Butt come on! The proposed route is Roseville to Wendover along I-80. Here is some additional information- thanks to Tammy Matthews for putting this together:
Ability to ride solo: SaddleSoar are most successfully operated as a solo ride given the logistics of quick breaks and the importance of “riding your own ride”. While we may have 10+ riders heading in the same direction, riders will leave at different times so we don’t overwhelm gas stations and create delays waiting for pumps, restrooms, etc. For this reason, it’s recommended that riders are comfortable and have experience riding solo.

· Long distance riding experience: We strongly recommend that you have ridden at least a “600 mile day” so that you have an idea of the stamina needed to complete a long distance rides.

· Comfortable riding in the dark: The beginning and end of the ride may include riding in the dark or at dusk.

· Freeway riding: As you’ll notice from the route, 99.99% of the ride will be on the freeway.

· Know when to stop: It’s not uncommon for riders to begin a SaddleSoar and then realize it’s no longer safe for them to continue. It’s important that riders are self-aware and can stop or turn back if needed.

· Your ride: Your bike should be in good working condition. Your tires should have enough tread to complete the ride, and be properly inflated. Your riding position should be comfortable for long periods. A relatively upright position is best. You should have a way to rest your throttle hand, either a cruise control, throttle lock, or wrist rest. Your lights must work, because you'll need them. If you took advantage of that sweet deal that Sue secured for us to get ClearWater lights would be better yet.

· Additional Tips and Tricks: http://ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm
Jeanie
Rides and friends are gifts
Jeanie

Re: Iron Butt Saddle Soar 1000 June 21st Invitation

Postby BruceA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:24 am

Having done this ride, let me add a few of my experiences that may or may not help. Be prepared for large changes in temperature. According to the temp indicator on my LT, I went from a low of 29 going over the Donner pass to a hi of 104 heading back through the Nevada desert. Contrary to popular belief, riding in 104 temp with your jacket unzipped trying to get the most air you can is not the best thing for your hydration factor. If you are going to do this, you will need to be pouring in the water by the gallons.

The other thing I found helpful was riding with a partner. Yes, you want to ride you own ride, but having someone that rides at the same pace as you do adds a comfort and safety factor. Plus, when you stop for fuel, one can hit the restroom while the other keeps and eye on your bike.

I found sticking to my plan worked well for adding fuel to my tank and gas in the LT. Small snacks and lots of water at fuel intervals worked well. It was only when I got off my schedule did I start to have trouble. Once back on my schedule, which took a 20 minute stop, did I start feeling better and got back in the game.

Some will say why bother putting 1000 mile on your bike and tires, but it's like anything else, you can now say you are a member of the Iron Butt Association. Good luck and be safe.
Never, ever, leave your wingman!
BruceA

Postby Jeanie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:44 am

Thank you Bruce for sharing valuable experience with the Iron Butt Saddle Soar ride. I neglected to mention in my initial post that there is a cost associated with this adventure; $45.00 which includes verification of ride, Iron Butt Pin, License Plate Frame and certificate.

We would like to start at list of interested parties so if you are thinking about doing this, add your name to the interested list and we will have a get together to share ideas and more details a little closer to the June date. We need 10 riders to make this happen.
1. Jeanie Thurston
2. Tammy Matthews
3. Charlotte Barry
4. Lisa Melendez
Jeanie
Jeanie

Postby ken » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:54 am

Soar?
Eat. Ride. Repeat.
ken

Postby RocklinMike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 pm

I agree with what Bruce has posted in regard to successfully completing a saddlesore 1000. RocklinRick and I use Sena smh10 for bike to bike communication. It is nice to be able to chat along the way. It helps keep you alert and
Aware. Neither of us got sleepy even at the end of the ride. Hydration is key. Hydrate before the ride. I froze a number of Gatorade bottles for later in the day. We endured 116 degree temps so I would drink a whole bottle at each fuel stop. It worked well for me. I took Cliff bars as my personal fuel. Eat light! Heavy meals will make you wanna take a nap. Bad. I took two jackets. My mesh and a regular jacket. I used them both. Also took my cooling vest in a Ziploc bag o water. I used it also. Nice! We never had an issue overwhelming fuel stations and there were 3 of us. I also strapped 1.5 gal of fuel on my rack. Didn't need it but it was comforting knowing it was there. Once you clear Reno it should be a breeze. Hopefully no road construct. 75 mph speed limit. Ride, fuel the bike, fuel yourself, hydrate and go! Keep your fuel stops quick while you feel good as you may need a little longer break later in the day. Maybe not. Piece of cake! You can do it! If Fred doesn't come up with a bunburner gold ride I will probably join in the fun!
Mike
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
2013 R1200GS (Stofer WTRBXR)
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Re: Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 June 21st Invitation

Postby Tammy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12 am

Mike and Bruce, thank you for the tips. All advice is welcome and appreciated. I'd also love to hear if there was any sort of prep you did before the ride to set yourself up for success.

Below is the RSVP list and club affiliation.

Going:
1. Jeanie Thurston - RCB & Gold Country Riders (GCR)
2. Tammy Mathews - RCB & GCR
3. Charlotte Barry - GCR
4. Lisa Melendez - GCR
5. Carmen Madia - GCR

Tenative:
6. Henry Mini - RCB
7. Sue Childress - GCR
8. Dee Dee Gray - GCR

I look forward to using this ride to introduce more of the GCR folks to RCB.

Tammy
Tammy

Postby RocklinMike » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Nothing really special aside from hydration. Try to get as much sleep the night before. It was hard for me as I was anticipating the ride. If you routinely do rides of 250 or 300 miles I think you will do well. Don't dwell on the number of miles ridden or miles left. Keep a positive mindset! You are on a mission and dagnabbut nothing is gonna stop you from your goal. This ride will test your will and stamina but when you roll into the garage at the end of the day you will be tired but extremely satisfied! It can actually be a bit addicting.
Mike
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby Tammy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement Mike. Ir's much appreciated. While I put a lot of miles on my bike in my first year of riding (20k) I realize I'm still a newbie so happy to receive tips, tricks or other tidbits to help me prepare for this first in my MC journey. Thank you and thanks to Fred, Lynn and Jey for serving as the support team, sweep and administrators for this ride. How lucky are we to have such supportive members.
Tammy

Postby BruceA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:18 am

My prep involved getting a good nights sleep for the few days leading up to the ride. I also worked on drinking extra water for the few days leading up to the ride. The other thing I did was to look over the LT a bit harder than usual. Checked all fluids twice along with tire pressure. I generally run a few pounds over the recommended tire pressure. I also brought along a few extra cloth towels to clean the windshield.

I laid out a plan of how far I would go before looking for fuel. I also planned what I would eat and drink. Like Mike said eat more small snacks instead of a whole sandwich at a stop. Energy food like home made trail mix in individual bags worked great. I also froze bottles of water and had a few that were just cold from the fridge.

I am fortunate with the LT that it has a 6 CD player, radio and ipod connection so I had plenty of options for entertainment. Mike was correct. Don't think about how far you have gone or how far you have to go. Just think of it as a ride. One more thing, with todays credit card theft, either call your credit card company and tell them what you will be doing, or make sure you have several credit cards for gas. I was only able to use one of my cards twice before it got rejected. That is the last thing you want to hold you up at a stop. The turn around stop was a 30 minute rest before we headed home.

Like the saying goes, plan the work and work the plan and you will be home before you know it with a big grin on your face. The only part of me that was sore when I got home was my shoulders from holding up my helmet.
BruceA

Postby NathanF » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 am

Good morning

Just checking if there is a route ?

Thanks
NathanF

Postby BruceA » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:43 am

The last time we did this ride, the start and end point was A&S. The turn around point was the airport in West Wendover, UT.
BruceA

Postby NathanF » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 pm

BruceA wrote:The last time we did this ride, the start and end point was A&S. The turn around point was the airport in West Wendover, UT.

Thanks
NathanF

Postby papalynn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 am

I would add two items to the preparation list.
1. Don’t make any changes to your bike just before the ride. This includes items such as batteries and
tires. If you change or repair anything, try to ride at least 200 continuous miles before the event.
That’s far enough to gain a comfort level that what was added/repaired is working properly.
2. Have some type motorcycle towing insurance in place before the ride, or at least have someone you
know can come pick you and your bike up should the unthinkable bike failure occur.

Lynn C
Lynn
papalynn

Postby Steve & Tammi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:39 am

Hello Jeanie, Have they changed the ride? I noticed on the RCB calender it shows the ride is going to be 1500 miles not 1000.
Steve & Tammi

Postby BruceA » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 am

Steve, that was the original plan Fred had for a 1500get mile ride. The calendar has not been updated to reflect this ride in its place.
BruceA

Postby Fred(Prez2.1) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 pm

The Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) I had planned for this date has been replaced by this Saddle Sore/Soar 1000. I am looking at doing the BBG 1500 next year on the way to the MOA rally in Billings, MT. Stay tuned for more details later. And if you want to accomplish an SS1000 you should sign up for this one. It is going to be the simplest and probably quickest one you can do. I-80 to the Wendover, UT airport and back should take around 15 hours; I (and Jey Y.) do all the certifications so all you have to do is ride (and fork over $45). I'll take care of all the paperwork for the IBA.
2013 R1200RT 90 year anniversary
2009 R1200RT The final bike (OOPS, I meant the other one)
IBA #24559
"I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member" - Groucho Marx
Fred(Prez2.1)

Postby Tammy » Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks everyone for the advice. Here's the current RSVP list for the SaddleSore. We've named our team "No Ifs Ands or Butts".

1. Janet D
2. Charlotte B
3. Carmen M
4. Tammy M
5. Lisa M
6. Mari P
7. Jennifer H

Lynn Y has graciously offered to sweep and Jey is bringing a truck in the event of a breakdown. Jey will also be signing us off at the turn. If anyone else is interested please add your name to the RSVP list.
Tammy

Postby jim wilson » Fri May 16, 2014 11:13 pm

[quote] I'd also love to hear if there was any sort of prep you did before the ride to set yourself up for success./quote],

Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate, it's best to start a full day before the ride starts. As they say if you feel you need a drink of water during a warm to hot day of riding, you'll be hard pressed to 'catch up'' on the amount of water you already lost. If you do not have some sort of hydration system mounted on your bike already, I would encourage you to take a trip to any good sporting goods store and buy a 90-100 liter camel bak that you can comfortably wear over your riding jacket. You can also fit it to the seat with 1/2'' strapping or ?? making it as easy as possible to remove using fasted couplers alows you to unhook it and zip into any fast food or gas station, fill it with ice and top off the water. snap it back onto its place on the bike & boom you're done,

I encourage you to wear LDComfort clothing.. http://www.ldcomfort.com/productdescription.htm .. The mock turtle neck long sleeve top is ideal for both warm & cooling you down while riding. How ? It is made of two layers of material. You pour water on & soak the outside layer while your arm stays DRY because of the type of material the inner layer is . This gear WORKS and it works well at keeping you 10-20º cooler than the outside temperature. It works by you pouring a little water from your bottle into your nylon riding jacket sleeve between the LDComfort shirt and your jacket. It will settle down by your elbow. The outside shirt layer soaks up the water and as the air enters your jacket cuff it will act like an evaporative effect. You can also 'pre-load'' the shirt while your are at a gas stop. soak the front , arms and back. A lot of the IBA folks wear and swear by Marios gear, me too. Using this gear your jacket remains zipped and you can feel the hot air streaming past your neck. Want to get cool again? grab you water bottle and pour another couple ounces down your sleeve and your good to ''be cool'' ! !

I rode RM - Steve Chambers' Utah 1088 rally last year, a 24hr event in 117º heat to a 44º night, through the canyons and peaks with a fully zippered jacket and was very comfortable only by using Mario's LDComfort :D

Ps. having a Zumo GPS with XM or iPod type music system really helps. the xm has sinartra, 50's & 60's, bluegrass to Grateful DeaD.

I wish I was going along for the ride. I've done several of these before, but this year I'm trying to get my N.P. tour cert. http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdo ... m?Docid=11

The more comfortable you are the more sMILEs you can ride..
Enjoy & keep sMILE'in
J. Wilson
founding member RCB
ABC #1559, MOA #70816, VOC/HRD OS1467, 356 club, STOC, IBA #47514
jim wilson

Postby Ryan » Tue May 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Is it too late to sign up for this ride? Im interested. Open to girls only?
2004 BMW R1150RT :D
Ryan

Postby Gordon Olson » Wed May 21, 2014 12:27 pm

THis ride is definitely NOT for women only. Feel free to sign up and enjoy the ride.....

Gordy
RCBPREZ
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby BruceA » Wed May 21, 2014 1:44 pm

This is the best way to get your first ride under your butt so to speak without having to worry about the ride and the paperwork.
BruceA

Postby Jeanie » Fri May 23, 2014 12:07 am

It's not too late at all to join us! Give me a call 916 626 9121 and I'll fill you in on details. My name should be on the lust too; as the 9th rider. Jeanie Thurston
Jeanie
Jeanie

Postby Gordon Olson » Fri May 23, 2014 9:02 am

STOP THE PRESSES!!!! I see from Jeanie's prior message that the Iron Butt ride is still accepting participants and that her name "...should be on the lust (sic)"! Apparently, this is going to be a sexier ride than I was originally led to believe and I may just have to consider adding my name to the lust also! :-)

NB: If the use of the word "lust" was simply a typo -- rather than a very clever marketing ploy -- then ignore my statement of interest in this little adventure.

RCBPREZ
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby Jeanie » Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 am

Ha! It's not a clever marketing ploy...just another reason to love fat fingers and iphones. But, now that you mention it riders who what to take this challenge are still welcome!
Jeanie
Jeanie

Postby ken » Sun May 25, 2014 5:50 am

Jeanie wrote:Ha! ...riders who what to take this challenge...

Riders are what?
Eat. Ride. Repeat.
ken

Postby Ryan » Tue May 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Well sign me up if its not too late. Do I pay at the premeeting? When/where exactly is the pre-meeting?
Ryan

Postby Fred(Prez2.1) » Wed May 28, 2014 9:18 am

You don't need to pay until the day of the ride, I'll be collecting payments as I'm documenting the odometers before the ride. A check made out the RCB for $45 is what I would prefer, and if for some reason some one is unable to complete the ride I can return their check to them.
IBA #24559
Fred(Prez2.1)

Postby Tammy » Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 am

RCB guys are your really going to let the ladies out show you at this event? Iron Butt Team "No Ifs and or Butts" still has openings and a rider's meeting will be held on Tuesday June 3rd so if you are thinking about joining the ride please RSVP so Jeanie can fill you in on the details.

RSVP List:
1. Janet D
2. Charlotte B
3. Carmen M
4. Tammy M
5. Lisa M
6. Mari P
7. Jennifer H
8. Jeanier T
9. Ryan
Tammy

Postby Ryan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:26 am

I have a friend that is currently not an RCB member interested in doing this. Is it too late for him to join this ride? I understand he would need to join the RCB in order to. He could attend tonights pre-meeting.
Ryan

Postby BruceA » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:13 am

Hey Ryan. I do not believe your friend needs to be a member of RCB to participate in the iron butt ride. We would however like to have him as a member. I think having to 10 riders is the goal for this event.
BruceA

Postby Ryan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 am

Thank you Bruce. I just wanted to make sure it's not too late and also before attending to the pre ride meeting tonight.
Ryan

Postby RocklinMike » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Not a club affiliation type of event. You are signed in , signed out, turn in required fuel receipts and you are done.
I believe most or some of the ladies are not RCB. Be nice if they were. Have a good time and GITER DONE!
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby Tammy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Mike most of us ladies that are participating are RCB members. This originally started out as a Gold Country Rider event but since Fred was kind enough to volunteer to manage all the administrative stuff we made it a joint adventure. If any of you want to join Gold Country Riders I'd be happy to sponsor you though. :lol:

RocklinMike wrote:Not a club affiliation type of event. You are signed in , signed out, turn in required fuel receipts and you are done.
I believe most or some of the ladies are not RCB. Be nice if they were. Have a good time and GITER DONE!
Tammy

Postby RocklinMike » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Well, I stand corrected Tammy. Glad you are all in the club. I can only deal with one biker gang at a time :D
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby Tammy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Team "No If ands Or Butts" gathered tonight to strategize over the ride, learn some pearls of wisdom from Fred and chat over dinner. Thank you Jeanie and Jim for hosting us and to Fred for sharing your expertise.

Haven't signed up to participate yet? It's not too late. Fred will take anyone up until the morning of the ride which will kick off at 4:30 AM at A&S on June 21st.
Tammy

Postby ddupar » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:43 pm

good luck everyone on your ride tomorrow. Be cool!
ddupar

Postby Tammy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:49 pm

ddupar wrote:good luck everyone on your ride tomorrow. Be cool!

Thank you!
Tammy

Postby RocklinMike » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:16 pm

You folks will kill it. Head down, hydrate, haul ass. Good luck!
Mike
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby Erivera » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Any update? Hopefully all made it back safe!!!!
Advanced congratulations!
Erivera

Postby Fred(Prez2.1) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:04 pm

Every one is back safe and sound with time to spare. Ryan was out to best Phil Challinor's time of 14:22 and did by 7 minutes, completing the 1020 miles in 14:15. The last group arrived at 8:55 tonight, doing the trip in 16:40, a very respectable time.
IBA #24559
Fred(Prez2.1)

Postby RocklinMike » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Congratulations to all my new iron butt brothers and sisters. Wasn't that cool? Now, go home and rest. Welcome to the fold. You are special and now you can buy cool stuff no one but you can. You earned it.
mike
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby BruceA » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Enjoy your accomplishment.
BruceA

Postby Erivera » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:46 am

My iron butt certificate is special. It hangs next to my school diploma (anyone can have those) :lol:
Erivera

Postby Ryan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:13 pm

That was fun, I had a good time.....other than the headwind on the way back....lol
Ryan

Postby Jeanie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:08 pm

The ride was awesome- So much appreciation to Fred Jewell for the organization and information; Lynn Yelland for the encouragement, and supporting information; Tammy Matthews for the inspiration to do this ride and communication and videos. We had awesome riding weather and perfect riding conditions i.e. no speeding tickets. Finishing:
Jeanie Thurston RCB/GCR
Tammy Mathews RCB/GCR
Charlotte Barry GCR/RCB
Dave Prasinos RCB
Steve Bonilla RCB
Ryan Moore RCB
Jennifer Hughes GCR
Mari Phillips GCR
Cliff Landers
Rich Phillips
Anthony Mulvaney
Looking forward to receiving certificates at a future meeting. Then, check our Iron Butt license plate frames! Look for pictures in the RCB newsletter and a review of the Twisted Throttle riding gear. :-)
Jeanie
Jeanie

Postby Gordon Olson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:10 am

CONGRATS to all of you!

Jeanie: I have already let the folks at Twisted Core know they can expect a review from you and your new iron butt regarding their base layer products. Hope they performed as well as you all did!

Cheers,
Gordy
RCBPREZ and Iron Butt Wannabe
Gordon Olson
Prez

Return to Rides and Destinations