Rider Skills Improvement Day

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

Rider Skills Improvement Day

Postby jack » Thu May 23, 2013 12:06 am

I took a class at the Reno Fernley track Saturday with Ken. We were the only people riding "street" bikes. That is, we were riding bikes that were not repli-racers.

First I digress. Ken upheld our honor. An instructor came over to Ken's bike in the afternoon and started looking at the "lie detectors" on the side of his tires. His comment before he walked away was: "You were getting some pretty serious lean angles out there." Good on Ken!!

The RCB event is unique among track day classes because it is geared to mature riders on street bikes. If you are new to our fabulous hobby, or coming back after many years off, the RCB event is perfect for you.

As I pondered my RFR track day sipping a beer at home, I flashed on one of the RCB 5 passes ride a couple years back. I tell this story for the rest of you who think you know it all. :?

I was riding with a small group going from east to west toward Ebbett's Pass on the part of the highway that parellels the river. Our pace was spirited. As I approached a corner at a crisp pace I realized it was a pretty significant decreasing radius turn, and started to panic. In the next half second I relaxed, looked at the exit and pushed on the bars. The bike did exactly what it was engineered to do. It went round the corner with no fanfare. My experience in this corner was and remains a real world reminder we, riders, are the weakest link on modern bikes.

After pulling the seat cover outta me arse, I slowed down a bit and thought a bit about what just happened as I did not have time to cogitate as the mountain side loomed larger in my face. What happened without conscious thought was this - I have been round this very same corner at greater speeds 20-30 times at the RCB track day. If I may borrow a line from "The Waterboy" my body and mind said, without saying: "You can do it!!!"

So my point is this, the single greatest farkle for your bike is to invest in the rider who will be at the controls. Additionally, a day at the track is the most fun you can have on a bike. No idiot drivers and no chance of a ticket. I feel so strongly about this I will put up my own money to make the point. If you register and pay for the RCB track day and also get a riding buddy to register and pay (I will want a name and confirmation from the buddy), I will hand you $20 after you and your buddy check in for the day at the track.

If all this isn't enough incentive to join us remember this. At the end of the day you can brag about screwing a lawyer out of his own money because you would have participated anyway. :D
jack

Re: Rider Skills Improvement Day

Postby jack » Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 pm

I was reading an article written by Keith Code and the message resonated with me. The article focused on small decisions that rule our riding. To be smooth, relaxed is the sum of what a rider does or does not do. A rider that knows how to make the correct decisions proactively does not appear stiff or tense. Code writes: "Each twitch of the throttle hand, each stab at the brake lever, each false or mistimed steering input, each jerky eye movement, all create busywork and prevent smooth actions, speed, or confidence from increasing. Each action has an effect, especially ill-conceived actions."

He goes on: "Understanding is the foundation of improvement, and understanding is the most direct route to the level of skill you envision for yourself and your riding."

In conclusion Code advises to participate in a track day or riding school and get to work.

Please support your Club's track day and let's get to work.

Jack
jack

Rider Skills Improvement Day - Cancelled

Postby jack » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:36 pm

At the time of the RCB Board meeting last night, Tuesday, June 11, only 11 people had signed up for the Rider Skills Improvement Day. Only a few of those were RCB members. The Club needed 50 riders to break even. The Board decided to cancel the event due to lack of interest, and to avoid additional costs to the Club which would be incurred if the event was pursued without significant participation by members. Those who did sign up will get a full refund, but please be patient as we determine the best way to do so (Ex. via check or PayPal).

I do not recall the name of the member who won a spot during a member raffle. I ask that person to contact me directly at jackklau@comcast.net.
jack

Return to Rides and Destinations