C-17 VIP Tour at Tahoe Airport 8/25/12

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

C-17 VIP Tour at Tahoe Airport 8/25/12

Postby Greg Smith » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:16 pm

One of my son-in-law's brother is a C-17 pilot with the Air Force and he is flying that big bird into the Tahoe Airport today. He has invited us for a VIP tour of the plane tomorrow. The airport is having an open house this weekend and his plane will be one of the static displays.

I am leading a ride there for a tour by the pilot, Major Chris Harty (he is the officer and gentleman who's wedding I attended in Germany a couple of weeks ago) and then lunch at the airport restaurant.

I'll be riding my shiny new/used 08 GS. :D

The more the merrier, so join the fun. :lol:

We'll leave Susies at 9:00 AM. :arrow:
R1200RT

"Life is a journey, not a destination"
"If money is your problem, you have no problem." Anton Marta 1903-1998
Greg Smith

Re: C-17 VIP Tour at Tahoe Airport 8/25/12

Postby Gordon Olson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Tell him that he is a week late if he was hoping to be at the Tahoe Chill! :-)
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby Greg Smith » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:05 pm

President Olson,

USAF Major Chris Harty, C-17 Pilot, said he'd arrange for next year's Tahoe Chill to have Air Force One transport you, your fellow club members, and all of your gear from Mather to the Tahoe Airport. Done.

Bill, Roy, Terry, and I had a GREAT day going to visit my son-in-law's brother and his crew of the C-17. Chris gave us a, cut-in-line, VIP tour of the plane where we took pictures of each other sitting in the pilot's seat.

Bill even took a ride in a P-51 Mustang. When he went to buy the ticket he asked the lady how much. She responded $995.00. He said, "Whew, I thought you were going to say $1,000.00." The ten big ones, minus five, ride was his Christmas present from his wife. Where was she when I fell in love?

The weather was perfect, and the ride home on 89 and 88 was spectacular. My new/used GS's RADAR detector did its job. After passing a car on a long down hill run on 88, it lit up like a Christmas tree. A Chippy was tucked in, out of sight, behind some trees on the side of the road, but was spotted after a quick 4G slow-down by me. One more detection and the unit will have paid for itself in Citation Savings. Much more real savings than my wife's Macy Savings.

We capped the male bonding off with a visit to Bill's hanger at the Placerville Airport. He open the hanger door, and we sat on his circled chairs (visualizes scenes from the movie Blazing Saddles) drinking cold water from the hanger's refrig. Three of his airport buddies came by and joined the session. Two on motorcycles, one in a pick-up. We appreciated the plane he built. It's flawless, painted red with white stripes, built from an awesome design with even better craftsmanship. We talked about motorcycles, airplanes, and politics, and generally had a good time being alive on a fantastic Saturday in Paradise.

Of course, next year your elite squad of happy campers are invited again.

End of report, Sir. :D
R1200RT

Greg Smith

Postby Gordon Olson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Sounds like a great trip. Glad your "radar detection field test" was so successful.
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby Greg Smith » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Had some FUN yesterday. :D

Major Chris Harty invited me to share an hour of C-17 simulator time with his dad at Travis. I flew it 30 minutes and on my last landing landed "in the box".

Being an instrument rated private pilot, never having flown any aircraft larger than a Bonanza, Chris was impressed. Following Chris's instruction, an 8 year old could do it. It was like a big computer game. Line stuff up and it will happen just like he said. :mrgreen:
R1200RT

Greg Smith

Return to Rides and Destinations