Sedalia - 2012 BMWMOA Rally Report

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

Sedalia - 2012 BMWMOA Rally Report

Postby bajapilot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm

So.......... despite the forecasted heat wave Roy Meade and I decided to take a little ride to the rally. Roy rode his trusty K75C, I on "The Beast", my somewhat unproven K1600GT.

We mostly followed the Lonely Hwy. (US 50) to Green River Utah and than onto Pueblo Co. From there we followed blue highways (for us oldtimers) through Kansas and on to the rally. Made the whole trip out there without touching an interstate highway. The roads, the weather and the views were great - right up until Kansas. From that point it was hot, flat, hot, windy - did I mention hot?

The trip lasted 18 days, of that 10 were 100 to 108 degrees. Tried the wicking shirts, wet shirts, even the IBA approved method of closed ventilation. No mercy, it was hot.

The rally was great and as promised all the seminar halls and vendor halls were well air conditioned. We stayed at motels. I don't know how anyone survived camping but many did. Most mornings at 6 a.m. the temps were 80-84 degrees. Why Missouri, I don't know but next year Salem Or.

After the rally I made a short trip to Tulsa to meet up with my wife and son while Roy went on to Hays Kansas to see some old friends at the Rans aircraft factory. We both met up there three days later and headed for cooler conditions. Went on to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Oregon where the riding was fantastic. Did the Chief Joseph, the Beartooth and Yellowstone before following the Salmon River through Salmon and Stanley Idaho.

All in all a great trip. Did I mention hot? The bikes were flawless each using less than 8 oz. of oil. Put 5250 miles on the clock and wore out a set of tires. Nice to be back home. See you at Yerrington.

Bill.
bajapilot

Re: Sedalia - 2012 BMWMOA Rally Report

Postby Greg Smith » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:45 am

Bill,

Thanks for the story. I felt the heat here in Hawaii, and, without your mentioning it, the humidity. Glad your new steed performed without a hitch. I bet you and Roy enjoyed the tour of your airplane's place of birth.
R1200RT

"Life is a journey, not a destination"
"If money is your problem, you have no problem." Anton Marta 1903-1998
Greg Smith

Return to Rides and Destinations