Different kind of destination - Private Airshow

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

Different kind of destination - Private Airshow

Postby woodp » Fri May 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Disclaimer: This is only peripherally connected to Motorcycling.

Next Friday and Saturday (5/15 and 5/16), 15-20 members of the Classic Jet Aircraft Association (CJAA) and their pristinely restored aircraft will be conducting a local fly-in (called a Jet Blast) at Yolo County-Davis Winters Airport. CJAA members find Korean- and Vietnam-era jet trainers and jet fighters, restore them, and periodically get together to train, fly and socialize. This year, one of their training sites is in our backyard.

This Jet Blast is really a safety/training session for the pilots, but there will be plenty of down time when the owners/pilots will be more than happy to talk about, and show you around, their hobbies.

We're expecting 12-15 planes, and if I'm hearing properly, there were two L-39 Albatros, two T-33 Silver Stars, a handful of TS-11 Iskras, L-29 Delfins, at least one Vampire and a Magister Fouga signed up. The F-86 isn't confirmed yet but might still make it. If you know what I'm talking about, you need to stop by and see these beauties.

I'll be working the Jet Blast those two days (in my cage, sadly), but if anyone wants a tour of the flightline, look me up when you get to the airport ...

More info at http://www.classicjets.org/events.html
Four historic T-33s in formation
YoloJetBlast.jpg (57.26 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Phil Wood - RCB Member Emeritus
woodp@woodp.com - 916/673-3456
IBA #21233, RA #32719

Re: Different kind of destination - Private Airshow

Postby Firefight911 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks Phil!!!!! This Phil will most likely be there!!!!!!

Return to Rides and Destinations