Tech Daze / Motorcyclist 1st Aid - April 18/19

On Wednesday we ride to dinner and on Saturday we ride to breakfast. Those and any other rides are coordinated and (sometimes) reported here.

Tech Daze / Motorcyclist 1st Aid - April 18/19

Postby Firefight911 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Yep! It's coming up again. The 3rd Annual version.

Since the calendars are starting to fill really fast, I figure I had better get this out there and get it in the calendar section as well.

YOU silly!!!

April 18 AND/OR April 19

A&S BMW/Ducati/Vespa
1125 Orlando Avenue
Roseville, CA

Saturday, April 18 - Motorcyclist 1st Aid class

What do you do in the event of an unfortunate motorcycle accident? How do I treat the rider? What are the symptoms of injury? How can I prevent getting in a bad situation? How do I protect myself and the injured rider from injury?

Come on down to A&S BMW on April 18 and get these questions and many more answered. I'll be teaching and showing you what you can do to prepare yourself to be a helping hand and make a difference when it counts.

Sunday, April 19 - Tech Daze

Wow, you mean I can come to A&S BMW, use THEIR lifts, etc. and work on my own bike? You mean there will be actual trained BMW mechanics there to answer my questions?

Yep!! That and more. Come learn to work on your bike with friends helping out. Heck, last year we did a COMPLETE clutch on an RT, start to finish, in less than 7 hours. Best part is that it was a father/son project!!!

Even if you have no desire to work on your own bike, what will you do if you have a problem out there while riding????? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do some simple things that could allow you to continue on your trip or, at least, get you to the next exit?

We'll have access to the service department, knowledge, friendship, and an open parts department for your needs. Bring your own materials, tools, and supplies. We DO NOT have use of the technicians private tools so bring what you need. I'll bring my tools in case someone needs something they forgot.

Tires - yep - we can use the tire machine and they will take the old ones.
Oil - yep - we can even dump the waste at A&S.
Service - yep - minor, major, specific all doable!

Cost for both or one? Nada, nothing, zippo. A&S will provide lunch on Saturday during the 1st Aid class and Jamie and I will provide the lunch on Sunday at our expense. There will be a tip bucket out for the techs since they are giving up an entire day of their time to help us out and we'll place a separate bucket out to help defray the lunch cost on Sunday. There is absolutely no obligation.

More specifics will follow as we move closer but I would like to solicit feedback on the tech portion to see if we want to have a specific service, option, info session shown.

I also would like to see if someone in possession of a current updated GS-911 would be willing to do a demo on a donor bike to show the capability of this device for the DIY'er.

Come on down and join us for one or both days!!!! Psst, if nothing else, come on down and view the eye candy!!!!!! A&S is now an official Ducati dealer!!!! You see, they're not just for BMW anymore!!

Put it down on your calendars and keep checking back as I iron out the details. Last year we even went indoor kart racing on Friday night. Who knows what we might do this year!

Thanks to A&S for their unparalleled support of our passion. Please, take a moment to consider the overwhelming generosity and support of a dealership that allows you to work on your own motorcycle in their service department!!!!!!

Also, I would be remiss if I did not thank the overwhelming support of our local ride club, the River City Beemers. They provide all the support and costs associated with materials for the two days - handouts, chairs, tables, etc.

And, of course, there's Hot Jamie (2bmwfan) my wife. She is the one who takes care of the lunch on Sunday!!!!!!

See ya there!

Re: Tech Daze / Motorcyclist 1st Aid - April 18/19

Postby Fred(Prez2.1) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Of course you realize that that is the weekend we go to Eureka this year, so there might be a few RCBers missing. I'm bummed, I missed it last year and was looking forward to it this year.
2013 R1200RT 90 year anniversary
2009 R1200RT The final bike (OOPS, I meant the other one)
IBA #24559
"I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member" - Groucho Marx

Postby Megan_McLeer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:06 pm

Don't forget everyone! First-aid saturday, and Tech Day on Sunday! :)

Postby Firefight911 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:42 pm

I am wiped! What an amazing weekend of great friends, some learning, and lots of wrenching.

Thanks to everyonr for being there, helping out, and laughing when you saw the cue cards telling you to do so.

I'm at work so you'll have to wait for photos, etc. unless Her Hotness has some time to post them.

Some stats from the weekened -

17 tires were changed.
Over 65 people in attendance for Saturday's 1st Aid class.
Over 100 people in attendance for Sunday's tech daze.
All work started was completed successfully.
Most of the day had EVERY single lift in the shop being used with people working and learning.
A&S asked for our help on Saturday. In exchange for al the free food, drinks, and course they asked that we help with their 'Meals on Wheels' program. We collected enough money to provide 63 meals to the needy. The best part, A&S will be delivering them all on motorcycle along with the other collections they get during their collection period. Awesome.

A very special thanks to A&S BMW/Ducati for their belief and support in us. Thanks to the River City Beemers for all the material cost.
Thanks to A&S for opening their service bay, paying for and providing two of their Master Techs and their Svc. Mgr. to help out, teach, and show us what is involved in the safe care of our valued steeds.
Thanks to our designated learner/donor bikes to help get us rolling.
And, DUH, a very special thanks to the best wife in the world for providing the entire food spread (strawberries with marshmallow and cream cheese spread included! Mmmmmmm!!!) on Sunday.

Wow! This was one hell of a weekend. If you missed it, you really missed a special weekend.

Thanks for helping me realize my dream in the success of this event. It is not possible without all of you!

Oh, and we even had someone fly in from Oklahoma for it. He rented a bike in San Francisco and rode out. And we had the S. California and Utah and Nevada crowds covered and they stayed at my place.

Good grief! What a weekend.

Kudos to Phil and Jamie

Postby drswift » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:54 pm

The Saturday first reponder training was outstanding!!! Phil is a great teacher.
TechDaze on Sunday was a big success also. All the lifts were full, and great advice was in abundance.

Great job Phil and Jamie, as well as the staff at A&S.
Dave Swift, Grass Valley
'07 1200RT

Postby Firefight911 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Return to Rides and Destinations