Service Recommendations?

General discussion of RCB activities not covered elsewhere. This forum also includes all messages imported from the old forum.

Service Recommendations?

Postby davidh » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 pm

This may be an unpopular question but what alternatives are there to A&S in the Sacramento area?

Over the last year I've had some exceptionally bad service, escalated to both A&S management and BMWNA but didn't get a satisfactory outcome. The last straw was today, being quoted $195 for a windscreen adjustment and having to be in the shop for four hours. AFAIK, it's a 5-10 minute effort with the tool. Yeah, I know they need to pay for the tool, staff, etc. but I'm tired of making somebody's boat or RV payments. Have they NO customer loyalty? The pledge sign they have inside the door is a joke.

I bought both my bikes from them and, until recently was having them do all my major services. I can only take so much. I love the bike but need an alternative.

In addition, I'm THIS close to just buying a GS-911 (for the windscreen adjustment and other stuff) and moving to online resources for all my parts.

Any thoughts, suggestions, whatever are appreciated.
davidh

Re: Service Recommendations?

Postby r90beemer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:26 pm

I probably at times thought A & S was high on service but now wish very much that I still had a dealer like them a few miles from home. After moving to Bozeman, MT in late 2014 I have experienced much higher dealer service costs, have to make an appointment hoping to get one in less than two weeks, take a day of PTO and drive 3 hours one way to get service. If the bike is not running or the weather is bad I have to haul the bike. It always turns into a very long day. I also have to price check the Montana dealer on every BMW item I buy as well often getting them to come down to A & S for price. A & S matches prices on parts, tires etc., a real blessing on tires especially. I am also experiencing the same dilemma with my Mercedes having a 950.00 bill to replace an EGR valve and spending an entire day getting the job done in another city. I would have saved considerably taking it to Vonhousen. Currently my Mercedes is in a local shop for the third day and still no call with even a diagnosis. I may have to haul it to SLC. You are blessed in the Sacramento area to have good dealers and competition to keep prices reasonable. I do think a GS911 is a good idea especially for someone like me 3 hours from the dealership. I had one for the 12 R12RT and used it once to reset the service reminder. Worth it as I didn't have to take that long trip to Missoula to get it done. I will probably get one for the new RT WC soon.
Tom Moe
Montana BMW Rider :D
r90beemer

Postby randyfelice » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi David
We have definitely not lived up to our commitments in regards to servicing your motorcycle. We have the processes and people in place but some times we do fail. Some times those failures occur to the same customer multiple times and that is very unfortunate and that is what has happened to you. For this I do apologize. Regarding the four hour wait it is our policy to have a minimum promised time in shop of 4 hours because we found not getting the job done in the time promised causes the most unhappy customers of almost anything we do. With you permission we would like to pick up your scooter, perform the windshield calibration and bring it back to you for no charge whether or not you choose to continue to have your bike serviced here.
By the way I don't have a boat or an RV : )
Randy Felice Dealer Principal
Randy Felice
A&S BMW Motorcycles
It's about the ride!
http://clubhouse.ascycles.com
http://www.ascycles.com
randyfelice

Postby BruceA » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Now you can't ask for anything more than that. Remember it cost a lot to keep a store like A&S open and supporting clubs like they do. Mistakes happen and I have always found that level heads always seem to correct the issue. Sorry for you unfortunate experience as most of us have had them from time to time. I have to hand it to Randy to stepping up and posting on this forum. He took a big risk that others might have wanted to pile on. Maybe you should give him another chance.

BTW I do have an RV. :-)
Never, ever, leave your wingman!
BruceA

Postby davidh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:12 pm

randyfelice wrote:Hi David
We have definitely not lived up to our commitments in regards to servicing your motorcycle. We have the processes and people in place but some times we do fail. Some times those failures occur to the same customer multiple times and that is very unfortunate and that is what has happened to you. For this I do apologize. Regarding the four hour wait it is our policy to have a minimum promised time in shop of 4 hours because we found not getting the job done in the time promised causes the most unhappy customers of almost anything we do. With you permission we would like to pick up your scooter, perform the windshield calibration and bring it back to you for no charge whether or not you choose to continue to have your bike serviced here.
By the way I don't have a boat or an RV : )
Randy Felice Dealer Principal

Randy,

I appreciate the feedback and apologize I wasn't available to take your call on Friday (I was actually on the road to San Francisco). I can appreciate occasionally failing to meet expectations/commitments but my challenge here is not necessarily the four-hour window but that it's $195 for the adjustment. It's not your fault that BMW designed a stupid mechanism that needs re-calibration every time the battery is disconnected but charging that amount for what I can only imagine is a quick, simple process (please correct me if I'm wrong) seems ridiculous particularly when I've been charged $50'ish for the same service in the past. For $195, I could pay for the tool with just two calibrations. I don't necessarily enjoy doing most of my own maintenance (and definitely understand BMWs are high-maintenance) but when the cost of dealer-performed service is 8-10 times the cost of doing it yourself it doesn't leave much of a choice.

Regarding past issues, I'm not sure if you saw the eMail I sent to Tim, Jeff H, and BMW last January but Tim was the only one who responded and, while somewhat apologetic, didn't do anything to rectify the situation. Let me know if you'd like a copy of the message and I'll forward it.

I also appreciate the offer to transport my bike and perform the calibration but don't think that addresses the root problem. I'm not sure what will but believe a review of customer service practices would be a good place to start.

BruceA wrote:Now you can't ask for anything more than that. Remember it cost a lot to keep a store like A&S open and supporting clubs like they do. Mistakes happen and I have always found that level heads always seem to correct the issue. Sorry for you unfortunate experience as most of us have had them from time to time. I have to hand it to Randy to stepping up and posting on this forum. He took a big risk that others might have wanted to pile on. Maybe you should give him another chance.

I agree and would like nothing more than to support A&S through the purchase of new bikes, service, parts, and apparel and totally understand that it takes a lot to keep the store open and appreciate their support of clubs.

The problem is that I can't imagine my experiences over the last 9 years are unique and that other customers haven't had the same challenges. When it takes 8 hours for a call-back, when estimates are several times what they should cost, when technicians damage your bike, and when both management and BMW don't appear to care that much, one has to start asking some serious questions. They know they have a monopoly and don't really have a reason to change. Contrast that with car dealers who, in my experience, bend over backwards to exceed expectations and solicit return business.

I appreciate the risk Randy is taking here and would LOVE to have a dealer on which I could trust. I'm all for A&S restoring that trust; I'm just not sure how to get there.
davidh

Postby BruceA » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:33 pm

I agree with your conclusion. Randy has his work cut out for him. I am glad to see the civil exchange of the situation. That is the first step to change. I hope Randy addresses it.
Never, ever, leave your wingman!
BruceA

Postby randyfelice » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi David
Thank you for the response. When you are ready we can continue this conversation off line.
Randy Felice
A&S BMW Motorcycles
It's about the ride!
http://clubhouse.ascycles.com
http://www.ascycles.com
randyfelice

Postby Marv » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 pm

I have been a customer of A&S for 28 years and can say that I appreciate having them in the Sacramento/Roseville area. Though doing most of my own wrenching there is always a need for a part of two and they have always been there to provide what I need or can get it in a few days. Although I don't use the service department a lot, Tim has always been there to answer my questions and provide any assistance that I have needed.
Marv

Return to General Forum