Seat flying off during the tow and other questions

General discussion of RCB activities not covered elsewhere. This forum also includes all messages imported from the old forum.

Seat flying off during the tow and other questions

Postby Erivera » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi RCBer's,

I broke down in Manteca on Monday on my way to work in MOD. I was moving at a fast clip (~ 70-80 mph) without any issues and the traffic slowed down when 120 joined 99. I slowed down and then the engine just died - no warning light so had to pull over at the fast lane shoulder. Battery is fine. It cranks but looks like it ran out of gas when I just filled it the day before. Called triple AAA and had a tow back to Roseville. Thought of calling Ray T but figured it is a ways to wait since I have to be at work at 830. Tow truck with flat bed came and bike got towed back to ROS. Went to work - late 40 minutes. Got a call in ~ 2 hours to to let me know that the bike is in ROS but no seats!!

1). Is it possible for the GSA seat to fly off during the tow? How many points should be secured?. I noticed that they only secured the 2 front but not the back. Not sure if that matters. I took the seat off the day before when I was working on the bike installing the vololights and rode it without any problems. Always possible that I did not put it in correctly.

2). I had it towed at RedBike in ROS since they were open. How does one get it towed to A&S on Sundays and Mondays when they are closed? Who receives the bike?

Any thoughts?

I truly wanted to call Ray Trujillo but just too far for him to pick me up and I was in a hurry.

Ernesto
Erivera

Re: Seat flying off during the tow and other questions

Postby GailMiller » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:09 pm

I would suspect the wiring of the volo-lights. Where did you connect the power for the lights? It is interesting that the lights are supposed to work when you slow down and that is when your bike died. Is it possible that in the installation process you created a short in the volo lights? Perhaps there is a loose connection.
GailMiller

Postby Erivera » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:04 pm

Good thought Gail. I thought about it but it did not appear electrical. The engine died with all the lights still on. I hooked the hotwire to the accessory plug and the ground to the seat post.

Looks like it run our of gas??? Fuel pump??? I could still start it but will not complete the crank. All the lights were on and functional.
Erivera

Postby quack » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Sounds like the pre pump I think it's called. Happen to me on a GS.
michael miller
quack

Postby Gordon Olson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 pm

This sounds like a carburetor problem to me --- but then EVERYTHING sounds like a carburetor problem to me!

Good luck, Ernesto.

Gordy
Gordon Olson
Prez

Postby RocklinMike » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Can't say on the seat/seats Ernesto. Not latched properly? As far as the troubleshooting goes, I always go back to the last place I was screwing around. Get that out of the way. Good luck bud!
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
2013 R1200GS (Stofer WTRBXR)
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby Erivera » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 pm

RedBike thinks it is the fuel pump. Apparently, normally you are supposed to hear this when the bike is turned on and it does not make the sound. Never knew that nor even tried to listen to the sounds when the bike is turned on. Also, there is an error code that showed up.

Oh well, Bike should have been at A&S by today hopefully.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Erivera

Postby RocklinMike » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:37 pm

You should hear the pump prime for about 2 seconds. Let us know what codes you threw and the end result. Enquiring minds want to know.
2016 Polaris Slingshot
2013 R1200GSA
2005 R1200GS
2013 R1200GS (Stofer WTRBXR)
BMWMOA # 139904
RCB 2008
IBA #50412
RocklinMike

Postby b2316curt » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:18 pm

I would think the tow company has some, if not all the liability for your seats. They took possession with the seats on the bike. You didn't lose them, they did. Second, that fuel pump may be covered by a recall. Lots of pumps replaced by BMW under factory recall, including mine. Good luck!
Curt
b2316curt

Postby ken » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm

I've noticed that it can be tricky getting the seat on a GS fastened properly. I've gone a mile or two before noticing that it wasn't on right. Still, it seems the tow company could be liable...
Eat. Ride. Repeat.
ken

Postby Erivera » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:59 am

Update:
Bike got to A&S courtesy of RedBike services. it was found to be a fuel pre-pump and and fuel pump issue. Normally covered by warranty however the previous owner used an aftermarket part - so not covered :shock: . Cost - a little bit over $1K for parts and labor. Hopefully the bike should be out next week.

Seat. Tow company said they are not responsible for my lost Touratech extra low seat and passenger seat. I will see if AAA could come out and bat for me.

Towing to A&S on days they are closed. Spoke with Jeff and Valerie. Bike can be left in the lot and after hours paperwork filled and keys left in the door slot. Bike will be take cared off when they open or if there is someone at the back working those days. If there is a chain gate to the lot, then the bike may have to be unloaded on the curb and pushed into the lot. I am unclear who is responsible if something else happens to the bike while left there though.
Erivera

Postby quack » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:19 pm

My best guess is you'll have to eat the seat loss. Those pre-pumps have been a problem since mine went out. Can't belive they didn't cover the fuel pump.
michael miller
quack

Postby Roseville Rick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:19 pm

What was the aftermarket part that was on the bike that voided the warranty? Maybe they're liable for the pump failure.
2009 BMW R1200GS
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
RCB Since 2011
IBA #50411
Roseville Rick

Postby Erivera » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Not sure Rick. Apparently the previous owner did not use a BMW fuel pump I was told. I did not realize you can use other brands.
Erivera

Return to General Forum